Contributor
Daveboy
Accepted Solution

Why is my broadband so slow ?

Can any one please tell me why my broadband is so slow.

There was a problem with the connection dropping some 3-4wks ago.

This was diagnosed as a fault on the line and fixed by BT engineers.

(I used to get a  speed of  between 512 to 750kbs)

Download speed achieved during the test was - 211 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :800 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 352 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

ADSL line status

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 6:48:15

Downstream

800 Kbps

Upstream

352 Kbps

ADSL settings

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

7.5 dB / 6.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

63.5 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

15.5 dBm / 11.9 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local)

Loss of Signal (Local)

Loss of Power (Local)

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

26360 / 221

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

141 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

nil / 208

Error Seconds (Local)

Aspiring Expert
mikejones

Re: Why is my broadband so slow ?

Does your hub lose sync when the phone is in use? Your stats look very similar to mine and your problem also sounds similar to mine. The problem on the line statement from India is also something that has been said to me.. Im just desperate to get my speed back, I too used to get around 750kbps on a good day. Now it is worse even than yours, has been for 2-3 weeks now.

Contributor
Daveboy

The Broadband used to drop when the phone was I answered on a incoming call.

This has not happened since the line fault was fixed.

(wish I had not got it fixed now!)

Aspiring Expert
mikejones

This bad..

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 122 Kbps

0 Kbps 250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 122 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1312 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Aspiring Expert
mikejones

That was exactly the same for me, the fault got fixed, I had briefly (2 weeks or so) with bearable service then its all gone bad again.

Contributor
rustins

MikeJones / daveboy have you been able to check what upstream/downstream your router connects at with all phones disconnected and preferably with the front part of your main box unscrewed and the router connected to the concealed rear socket (thus disconnecting your internal wiring temporarily). Post your results back here. MikeJones it looks you need a profile reset as so many ppl have needed lately as apparently your line profile value should be a figure a little lower than your router downstream connection speed. So maybe 1000K or so. You will have to contact the Mods to get that done but first try to ascertain what your wiring / router are capable of by doing the above.

Aspiring Expert
mikejones

yeah cheers, i phoned everyday for a week asking for an ip profile reset, i have an adsl faceplate fitted so no need for master socket stuff, i have disconnected the hub phone, physically and removed it from the router, up stream is always 448 down stream is up and down like an up and down thing, normally hovers around 1000ish but crashes to 160kbps in the mornings or just doesnt sync at all when the phone is in use. after the last fix by bt, downstream sync was a dizzy 2mbps. best i can expect here though is 750kbps or there abouts. ive been trying to get bt to do something lasting for me since last october. so far 2 things worked for me, a fixed rate of 500kbps.. but bt removed it, dunno why. then some change they made that meant my ip profile went down as normal but recovered in an hour or two. thats the fix that gave me the 2mb downstream sync rate. now its back to snafu and proper stuck at 135kbps, the phone is noisy as hell with the bb plugged in but fine without it. if i were a bt techy person, i would soak test the line for a few days, identify that there is a pretty bad problem, then fault find down the line till i found the dodgy stretch of wiring, then replace it, all of it if thats what it took. but im not a bt techy so i just have to put up with this, the forum is my venting place, it doesnt achieve anything but it helps me control the rage that my bt customer experience brings me.

Contributor
rustins

If your line is bouncing around like that then your profile will never stay at anything good. Its the attenuation that is doing the damage for you thats a factor of how far you are from the exchange and the type of cables that it gets to you on. Some cables are better than others but you may or may not have more than on cable that comes towards your house so BT may or may not be able to try a different cable. How far by car are you from the exchange ?

The signal is so weak by the time it reaches your house that is very susceptible to interference from random electrical equipment. If you were to enable the broadband voice and make calls using the hub phone and only via Broadband voice it does not electrically connect the hub phone across the line I wonder of that might be an extreme way of avoiding the phone crashing the line thing. Does your line come into your house via a overhead cable by the way ?

I have known of groups of people persuading BT to run larger diameter cables to their vicinity but I think you will need someone like Joanna Lumley on your side first as it does cost them a lot of money.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

soak testing takes a lot of effort, and removes your ability to use the service.

however you said if its just the hub and phone connected you get a lot of noise and w/o the hub the line is clear.

di you do that check with more than one phone? it could be something really stupidly simple like the line fault trashed your phone.
Aspiring Expert
mikejones

Interesting theory mate, I tried with corded phone and got the same results though. And it isnt all the time. Just most of the time.