Aspiring Contributor
SomersetSarah

WiFi Disconnected Every Morning

I am new to this & have had BT broadband and hub for only 2 weeks.  All was fine until Thursday when the connection dropped, I got the orange light and had to reset the Hub as instructed by Desktop Help.  Now every morning I get up and though the Hub light is blue neither my Iphone, Laptop or Desktop can connect to internet pages or download emails etc despite all showing that they are connected to the internet.  Resetting the hub seems to do the trick each time but it is annoying.  Even the BT Desktop Help does not seem to be able to connect to the router to tell me what to do.  Can't put up with this in the long term.

Any ideas or do I need to call BT?

Aspiring Expert
CharlieF

Re: WiFi Disconnected Every Morning

Hello SomersetSarah

When the problem happens, see if you can browse to the Hub itself.

This is usually on http://192.168.1.254

This will tell us whether it is the broadband connection or the hub/home network.

I'm having similar issues, and your forum name implies you are in the same region of the UK as me.

Charlie

Expert
tommybobbins

Hello SomersetSarah,

Is it possible your hub is in power save mode? Wifi connections will be dropped in this state.

From the power save page:

Note: When your BT Home Hub is in Power Save mode, your Hub's Power light will glow orange. All other lights will be switched off.

Wake the Homehub up by resetting it if necessary, or do this via an ethernet cable plugged into the homehub. When all the lights are lit blue, then navigate to

htp://192.168.1.254

Click on A-Z in the top right.

Click on P, then Power Save.

Make sure that Power Save Mode enable is set to "No"

Click Apply.

Hopefully your Homehub will now keep a bright and healthy blue glow.

Aspiring Contributor
SomersetSarah

Thanks for that - have checked - it is not set to power saving mode and when not connecting, the blue lights are all on!

Will try the other contributors idea of seeing if I can connect to the hub the next time it happens.

Aspiring Contributor
SomersetSarah

I will try that the next time it happens.

I have a BS40 postcode and did notice on the forum when I trawled for help this morning that someone else was having trouble with the Almondsbury Exchange - I'm a very long way from Almondsbury but I suppose it could be related.

Aspiring Expert
CharlieF

If you cannot browse to 192.168.1.254, it is most likely your wifi giving you problems.  Try connecting with a cable to eliminate (or confirm) wifi as the problem.

If you can browse to 192.168.1.254, try this command on your PC

tracert -d 209.85.146.99

This will try pinging one of the google servers, without using DNS.  The result of this can tell you whether it is a hub, DNS or broadband problem.

Charlie.

Beginner
gioany

change company

Aspiring Contributor
SomersetSarah

Thank you for your advice.  At 11pm last night all working fine and had done since RESET yesterday morning.  This morning, despite all the lights being blue and all my devices saying I had wifi I was unable to connect to any browsers, email, BT Broadband desktop help screens etc on any of 3 devices.

However, following your instructions I could connect to http://192.168.1.254,  it brought up my hub.

When I entered your command tracert etc the first line said 1 2ms 1ms 1 m 192.168.1.254, the remaining 29 lines all said "Timed Out".

Interestingly on the hub I could see the Event Log and whilst it is all gobbledygook to me the overriding thing I noticed was that about 5.30am it says time synchronization failed and this then repeated and repeated and my hub seems to think it is an hour different to the actual time.  When I looked into the Event Log yesterday morning when I learnt how to access my hub I noticed a similar list of Time Synchronization Failure.

But, until I rebooted this morning the hub was showing it had been on for 24 hours ie since yesterdays reboot so no power cut or similar.

Have now of course RESET it so that I couldlog onto these forums.

Any ideas?  Very grateful.

Expert
tommybobbins

Hello SomersetSarah,

Interesting stuff.  The traceroute / web browser test indicates that the Hub is alive, but your internet connection is dead. I'm wondering if it is trying to do a firmware update, failing and getting itself in a tizzy.

Time synchronisation. I don't know why it wouldn't be able to sync, unless the ADSL line had already been lost and the time then couldn't sync. Did/Does the DSL connection section of the Event Log contain anything exciting before the reboot (it might be too late to discover this!)

When you login to http://192.168.1.254, what does it say at the bottom of the page:

Something like this?

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) | Time and date 09:08 30/05/11

I'm afraid I would go for the Full Factory Reset after noting the Software version. It is a copout and isn't strictly fixing the root cause, but.....

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

Hope this helps,

Aspiring Expert
CharlieF

At least we have eliminated a few things.  Your wireless (or wired) home network seems fine.  The tracert out of the building confirms that you can only get to the hub, and not further into the network.

Unfortunately (for me), that means you do have a slightly different problem than I have.

There are more experienced people on this forum that can probably step in here.

They will most likely ask you to post your hub status values to the forum, on the hub again http://192.168.1.254 (Settings->Advanced Settings->Broadband->ADSL->More Details button).  You can do this whilst the broadband is working, no need to wait until another failure.

Charlie