Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet
Accepted Solution

Will a Bell Set Type 41 Cause Broadband Problems?

[ Edited ]

Hopefully, someone knowledgable out there will be able to help me with this one?   Perhaps even the Mods might have some ideas?

I've recently been helping a "silver surfer" get online.  Everything seems to be working, but the line has a couple of unique features before the Master Socket.  The "feature" closest to the incoming line is a Bell Set Type 41 - from the days when telephone's didn't have their own bells.  Googling suggests these were made redundant in 1947 wi the invention of the thermistor. See below for the internal view.

bellset41.jpg

The one in question is in pristine condition - museum quality.

The second device gave me a bit of a scare when I peeked inside.  It was a rectangular box about 6" x 3" and seemed to contain 2 blade switches or fuses and telephone wires.   Cut the orange wire - I should cocoa!  No idea what it is, what it does and I don't much like it.

My questions are fairly simple ones.

Firstly, are they likely to cause problems with the broadband - as they seem to carry the bell-wire issue to new heights of madness?

Would BT charge to remove them - especially given their age.  The silver surfer is an octagenerian with limited resources.

Any suggestions about what to do before we can get them removed?

Thanks -  and Heeeeeeeelp!

UPDATE - I've googled a bit more and found what the second object is.  It's a junction/protector box from the 1950s:

protector_04.jpg

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Sage
john46

Re: Will a Bell Set Type 41 Cause Broadband Problems?

Hi yes they would cause issues with broadband not sure about the charge bit though i think they may charge i would ask the mods if something could be done in this case
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Thanks John, every bit of info helps.  I've dropped an email to KerryG in the hope she can help before I call BT.

It's a miracle the phone works, let alone anything else! 

Sage
john46

Hi I have only ever seen one before but not in that condition
As you say it is museum quality is it still in daily use??
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
ballibeg

I've got issues now but for the last years I've had perfect fast broadband with one of these in my house!

Dave
Beginner
ballibeg

And mine still works perfectly!
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

John,  the one in the photo isn't the one I've been looking at - the one shown is positively tatty by comparison.   The exterior casing looks as though it has just been manufactured - with hardly a blemish on it.

It has been in daily use for around 60 years and was working fine at luch time today.  The line used to be a party line and Openreach only removed the DACS a week ago.   It looks as though Opoenreach fitted an NTE5 a few years ago, the householder suggesting that the young engineer who did it didn't want to have anything to do with the bell set and the protector.

Community Manager
SeanD

Hi GeneralDisquiet,

Wow, I have never seen anything like this before.  I'm sure we can get this sorted for your friend. 

Please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section). Include his BT account details and the link to this thread.  If you would prefer that I speak to you on this please give me a contact number for yourself.

Cheers

Sean

BTCare Community Manager

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry that we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Sean,

Many thanks.  I'll fire off an email to you asap.   I'll also have some photos of the real items by the middle of next week as there seems to be a bit of interest in this old stuff.

One website noted that the Type 41 had the reputation of having the best sounding bell that any phone has ever had.

Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

[ Edited ]

Hmm, it seems as if this has dropped into a proverbial black hole.  :-(