Contributor
grawor

Re: Will broadband speed increase if i update to Bt infinity?

please see my reply to sage .
Sage
john46

then they are saying infinity fibre you wil get 78.5mb standard broadband services that you are on now 1-3.1 estimated 1.0 mb
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor
grawor

hi,

Help !!

i dont think i am getting anywhere here.

i thought this was a simple question

Why cannot BT answer a simple question on speed  or give a guaranteed minmum speed for the service they provide so you can judge the efficacy of the service?

John46 -  Sorry to disagree but  they are not saying i will get 78Mb/s speed. the infinity speed quoted in the line tests is an 'up to speed 'or 'some custumers acheive speed' and is what you will get if you are right next door to the exchange and all the other factors that affect speed are optimal.

i have since spoken to BT sales they stress  -     UP TO 78Mb/S  is the speed i will get with BT infinity  - they cannot or will not guarantee a minimum figure or even give  an estimated figure the speed i get will be the speed i get .

the 78 mb/s is an up to figure and is useless to me - i already have an up to 16 mb/s  service which performs at 1/25 of this maximum speed. Do i want to upgrade to infinity and get up to 78 mb/s  ? and then find i am only performing at 1/130th  of this maximum speed?

Both BT technical and BT sales both stress that the distance to the exchange has the largest effect on speed.

as far as i can tell nothing has changed between the  exchange and me its the same 4 miles of copper wire and therefore i should expect the same 0.6 mb/s as now unless someone nows different about fibre optic technology?

Sage
john46

infinity has nothing to do with how far you are from the exchange like your current broadband service as the infinity equipment is installed on local street cabinets not at the exchange there fore you line length is shorter and you will get the speeds quoted on the wholesale checker
a cabinet will have been installed along your route to the exchange enabling the speed you receive to be higher when infinity was activated where i live i was told my infinity speed would be 66mb down when connected it actually gave a 76mb connection
also all ISP's provide estimates for speed as no one can guaranteed until the service is activated
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
NilSatisOptimum

Basically you are at this time on full copper line, with FTTC the copper has been replaced from the exchange to the cabinet with fibre and copper from the cabinet to your home. There is no guarantee of speed, when it/if does it likely to be 2mbps! I was of the understanding that, ADSL line speed x 12.5 =  FTTC speed (estimate)

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Contributor
grawor

John46
I AM a RURAL user!!! i dont live on a street !
can you not grasp this!
as far as i am aware the nearest cabinet is at the outskirsts of a town 4 miles away! (as the crow flies)
Contributor
grawor

thanks for info.

as i have just replied to John 47 i am in a very rural location as far as i am aawre the neaarest cabinet is at the outskirts of town 4 miles away (as the crow flies)

Guru
jac_95

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Is your phone line ground fed or overhead/telegraph poles?

Strange if the wholesale checker says your line supports fibre technology.

Do you also know if your line is even connected to the exchange or do you have a direct exchange line?

I also live in a rural area and get about 0.8-1.3mb, Have been waiting for infinity but exchange is not on rollout plan and we have a exchange direct line.

cheers

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Contributor
grawor

line from my house is on overhead poles for about 0.5-1mile.

lines from other rural houses meet in a connection box at top of furthest pole.  a copper multicore cable containing several pairs then runs from this pole into the ground .   this cable is at shallow depth and is not piped and runs along hedgeline  of rural road into town . i know this  because diffrent farmers have accidentally cut cable at variuos points along route when making new gate openings into fields  cutting phone line to my house and cable has had to be jionted a few times.

i presume cable follows rioad back into local town although route is a bit circuitous.  the nearest green BT cabinet along this road is where this road enters outskirts of town , there are no boxes along the road between this point  and my house. the route is circa 4 miles to the box . this box is some 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from the actual exchange.

hence the difference in copper cable could be say 1/2 mile saved in 4.5  mile run.

hence my scepticism re speed.

For all you other Rural users maybe being seduced by thought of BT infinity:=

when i give my number on speed checker  on BT  it says Bt infinity  is enabled at 78 mb/s . if you click on this speed it gives explanation as ' some customers have acheived up to this speed. otherwise we guarantee up to 16 Mb/s '.

my point is  i am on total  broadband with same guarantee of up to 16 Mb/s  and only acheive 0.6Mb/s. the wording of this  makes the guarantee worthless.  zero Mb/s is up to 16Mb/s!

i have through this forum been trying to get some insight into BT infinity and likely speed i will get.

I have also talked to BT sales and BT technical help line . Neither varies from this UP to philosophy on speed. thier answer is sign up and you will see what you get but we will guarantee up to 16 mb/s . i presume there is some legal reasoning here as to why they cannot say we Guarantee 'up to 78 Mb/s ',

perhaps a judge would say acheiving 0.6 mb/s on an up to 16Mb/s guarantee  is just acceptable whereas acheiving 0.6 Mb/s on an up to 78Mb/s  would be construed as failure on BTs part to provide contracted service.

All i know is all i wanted was  a simple answer . will my spped improve if i move from up to 16 Mb/s service i pay for now to the up to 78 Mb/s service promised on BT infinity. the only thing i know for sure now is the Guarntee is the same - Up to 16 Mb/s.

sorry for the rant11

Sage
john46

there is NO GUARANTEE on speed because every line is different the actual speed received will not be known until the service is activated