Aspiring Contributor
Phil_Devine
Accepted Solution

Wiring on NTE5 socket - A and B 'junctions'

[ Edited ]

On Friday a BT Engineer came to my house to set up BT Vision and make sure it could run properly, as I can currently only get broadband/ADSL in my area and not fibre/BT Infinity. He made a great job of the setup and in the process replaced the master socket in my house, changing the wiring arrangement as he did.

Everything works wonderfully but I am still hoping to squeeze some extra speed from the line (currently running at 3.4Mbs) and was wondering about the 'bell wire' fix that is often touted.

My problem/question this: The master socket has two connection points labelled A and B - the blue/white and white/blue pair or wires are inserted into A and the orange/white and white/orange pair are in B. The 2,3,4,5 connectors on the middle plate (in front of the plate with A and B junctions) has no wires connected at all. Previously it did, but this was to cater for extensions, which I don't need.

The NTE5 socket already has an I-plate/interference filter built in - but I've read that even in these cases, removing the bell wire can greatly improve the connection.

Would I improve my speed by disconnecting the orange wires completely (bell wire and PABX earth, as far as I understand) and just have the blue/white going to A and the White/blue going to B? Also, disconnecting only the orange pair without shifting the blue pair just kills the entire phone and broadband service, so I suspect A and B must have at least one wire each in order for things to work. Is this correct?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Wiring on NTE5 socket - A and B 'junctions'

Look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
imjolly

normally as the kitz site shows there 2 incoming wires which are connected to points A and B.  it sounds like the engineer has altered your wiring - do you have another socket that works?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Phil_Devine

Hi imjolly

There are extensions upstairs and in my lounge - which I must admit I haven't tested. But these are simply cables running from the main socket and into a small extension socket/plug which hangs loose from the cable. There are no other NTE5 sockets in the house - which is why I suspected, as you do - that the wiring looks a bit odd.

Also - the wiring setup does not match anything I've seen in other diagrams and pictures that I've Googled, which is wht I'm a little perplexed.

Note - I haven't tried connecting only the blue/white pair to A and B yet, as I wanted to relatively certain that I wouldn't be doing anything drastic with regards to putting a spike of voltage down the line or something similar. I've never heard of that happening but I'd rather play it safe before just changing wires willy-nilly.

I could live with the current setup without any alterations, as it works well, but the geek in me wants to get the system working as efficiently as it can. So if there's a tweak I can make, I'm willing to try.

Aspiring Contributor
Phil_Devine

Hi Keith

Thanks for the link - I visited teh page before while trawling through the forum. I studied the pictures and information and while the components featured are all familiar, my wiring setup does not match any of those. That's why I haven't just gone straight ahead and changed the connections.

Sage
imjolly

with what you say I think that the incoming pair are on A and B and the extensions are being fed by the other pair on A and B instead of going from 2 and 5 - but I am no expert only a customer like yourself.  it would mean that the first extension would be connected on 2 and 5 with a blue on one and an orange on the other.

does also appear that there is no bellwire anymore

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

There should only be one pair terminated on the A and B terminals, and they should come from the main incoming cable.

This would normally be the blue and white/blue pair. Anything else coming from the main incoming cable would cause problems, as it would pick up noise from the extra pairs. Sometimes the orange and white/orange is used instead, if the original pair is faulty.

All other wiring (extensions) should come off the connection block on the removable part of the master socket.

Only two wires are needed for extensions.

Maybe you could take a photo of the wiring connected to your master socket.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Phil_Devine

Thanks imjolly and Keith

That's enough info to give me some vital clues for now - either the box is wired as is from the outside line/exchange or this is not the master box.

I'll search the house for another 'hidden' master box, which is not that likely but not impossible, given that it's got a mix of contemporary and 80s fittings. If I can find that I'll be able to solve the problem or at least figure out what wires are being used.

@ imjolly: I also agree with you that it could be the 'bell wire' is no more - in which case there's little else that can be done here and the line speed is about as good as it's going to get for now and I can relax (for the time being)