Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

broadband adsl why is speed regulated by a BT computer program

OpenReach improved my broadban speed dramatically by resetting something at the BT exchange remotely from my phone line box. I was told that if the exchange detects any "noise" on my line it shunts the speed down. the end result is an speed of 5.67 after the OpenReach reset and 1.25 now. Fro goodness sake BT get rid of the unnecessary programme that shunts down the speed when it detects "noise" on the line when no "noise" exists.

Distinguished Sage

Re: broadband adsl why is speed regulated by a BT computer program

[ Edited ]

Noise doesn't just exist at audio frequencies. It doesn't detect noise per se in any case, it detects errors which can be caused by noise.

Distinguished Sage

This link explains the DLM as it is correctly known
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-ADSL-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-work?Keywords=...

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Beginner

Thankyou for the link it was very informative. Still puzelled that the OpenReach Engineer was able to override the programme.

Distinguished Sage

Its not overridden, just reset (effectively reducing the time taken for DLM to act to zero), it will kick in again if needed.

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks to you both for your very informed and knowledgeable replies to my problem.