Expert
borris12

bt engineer

i reported my Broadband service not working Friday,6/8/2010

an engineer came out today at about 4.00pm 9/8/2010

he simply confirmed that it was not working which was not too hard as the Hub was flashing orange constantly,

as i told them on Friday,

but he could not do anything further because he is not allowed inside the exchange to work on anything,

and openreach would now be informed and they would send another engineer out within 48-72 hours,

what a total waste of time and money,it will be nearly a week without service,

they could have sent a openreach engineer out in the first place,

Terry

Aspiring Expert
j-whitney

Re: bt engineer

I agree. They are wasting money doing things that way and also wasting out time. All the engineers should be trained to go into the exchange.

Thanks

lol what? Thats really bad...

what was he trained to do? Plug his laptop into your phone line? :smileyvery-happy:

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

An Openreach engineer would have visited you. If he proved the fault into the exchange equipment, then this would have to be dealt with by BT Operate. Openreach are not allowed to touch the broadband equipment.

Openreach is a separate business within the BT group, and deals with many different service providers, including BT Broadband retail product.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert
champ1970

As BT have to pay around £144 if a Openreach engineer comes out on a SFI fault ( if it turns out to be a line fault there is no charge ) they sometimes just send a BT engineer ( not Openreach ) out who can only do basic checks and make sure the set-up is correct.. I now this as I have attended a few SFI faults were this was the case.... It seems to be a cost cutting effort on behalf of BT, however not good for the end user.

However if the fault is prove onto the equipment in the exchange, we can call the SP direct and liase with them to sort problem out, even connecting up new equipment if this is needed. 

Expert
IanC

champ1970 wrote:

As BT have to pay around £144 if a Openreach engineer comes out on a SFI fault ( if it turns out to be a line fault there is no charge ) they sometimes just send a BT engineer ( not Openreach )

Who then, if not Openreach ?

I think you mean that there are different engineers, with different remits. It can depend largely on how the fault is reported, and what type of visit the Service Providers requests.

They're all Openreach though.

Aspiring Expert
Sweeney47

If they're going to send out different types of engineers then they should really do a better job of diagnosing the issue remotely, if theres a chance that it may require exchange work (such as the original poster... no service...) then they should send an engineer with those powers. When you consider people need to take time off work for engineers etc, its not exactly great service to then be told the engineer cant do anything.

I use the word 'should' but I have no idea of much they can diagnose remotely and it probably depends on what information the end user supplies...

Expert
borris12

[ Edited ]

can i thank you all for your comments,

can i say that i was gob smacked when the engineer carried out the basic test,

all he did was to plug in a different router,this router was showing the same flashing amber  "Broadband" light as the one i have,

i had already carried out this test over the phone with the BT helpline staff in India,you know who i mean,

he then said "its not working" i will have to pass over to an openreach engineer now as i am not allowed at the exchange, 

this would take another 48-72 hrs,

at this i rang BT again and explained what had happened,

they have now made an appointment for an Openreach engineer to call  this Weds morning 8.00am-1.00pm,

if this repairs the issue it would mean i have had no Broadband for nearly a week,

over a simple issue,

Terry

Expert
borris12

If they are both openreach engineers,

how come one can only work in the house, ?

the other can only work at the exchange, ?

i understand some are trained different etc,

these basic tests could and should be carried out over the phone with the first call to BT for Help,

Terry

Expert
IanC

Sweeney47 wrote:

If they're going to send out different types of engineers then they should really do a better job of diagnosing the issue remotely, if theres a chance that it may require exchange work (such as the original poster... no service...) then they should send an engineer with those powers. When you consider people need to take time off work for engineers etc, its not exactly great service to then be told the engineer cant do anything.

I use the word 'should' but I have no idea of much they can diagnose remotely and it probably depends on what information the end user supplies...

Bear in mind also that the maintenance visit, in the case of a broadband fault, is arranged by the Service Provider - not the end user -- although people often fail to make the necessary distinctions when the Service Provider, of both telephony and broadband, is a division of BT - and the maintenance visit is also arranged with another division of BT.

It's also very likely done remotely by the SP, without actually discussing their requirements with a human.

Openreach, in the main, do what the service providers asks them to do. There are various services that they (the SP) can request, rangeing from "check that the end user has dialling tone at the NTE" right up to "get the customers broadband working, as fast as possible, no matter how long it takes".

Although Openreach aren't always blameless, they usually do what they've been asked to do. If the SP has asked for, and has agreed to potentially pay for, a basic check that's what gets done.

There are also time constraints. ie the SP might agree with Openreach that they'll spend 90 minutes looking at the problem. No prizes for guessing what happens when 90 minutes ticks up and the problem's still not fixed...

Regarding what types of problems can be acurately diagnosed remotely...lets just say "quite a lot" but that some ISPs are rather better at it than others !