Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

connecting two computers via ethernet with the hub

At the moment we have one computer connected via ethernet to the hub but my husband would like his computer upstairs connected to the internet, this will be via ethernet cable(no wireless). Can anyone tell me how do I go about this, hubby says just plug in the cable, but I have a feeling it might need a little extra effort then that. Computer knowledge is all self taught, so please put info on layman terms. Will I need firewall,anti-virus running on both computers, even if they will be running of the same Hub.                                                  Also my son would like his XBOX360 connected  how do I do this.

Thanks in advance.

Expert

Re: connecting two computers via ethernet with the hub

[ Edited ]

Your husbands right

Just plug the cable in. (At least cat 5)

[edit]

You will need anti virus/Malware protection for ANY windows machine you connect to the net via hub or not.

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
Aspiring Expert

Re: connecting two computers via Ethernet with the hub

The xbox 360 can connect via wireless with the xbox wireless network addon which can be bought for around £15 to £50 depending on the retailer you visit or Ethernet the same as any standard PC.

Recognised Expert

Outcast_Aussie wrote:

Your husbands right

Just plug the cable in. (At least cat 5)

[edit]

You will need anti virus/Malware protection for ANY windows machine you connect to the net via hub or not.

I think this sentence needs expanding. Smiley Wink

You will need anti virus/Malware protection for ANY windows or Linux or MAC etc etc machine you connect to the net via hub or not.

No Computer Operating System should connect to the Web or any other device unless properly protected. Smiley Indifferent

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Aspiring Contributor

Dear scotswife,

Your Husband is correct. You only need a sufficient long ethernet cable that goes to the rear of the router. If you would have mention the router that you use then it could be easy to post other details.

The xbox could be connected with wireless.

You need not to have any antivirus in particular to connect your husband's computer. Plug in the cable to both ends it will automatically identify a connection. If not, then call helpsesk (limited connectivity for xp and unidentified netork for vista/7)

Abhinav Rai
Recognised Expert

If the reason for " no wireless " is hi,s PC has no wireless then a cheap usb wifi stick is a lot easier, neater, safer  and probably cheaper  than a trailing cable down the stairs

Though it would be slower than cable

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Aspiring Contributor

Adding to Hamish72,

A usb wireless dongle is available for 15 Pounds. So we can avoid cable guttering all around and connect the other machine wirelessly which is upstairs

Abhinav Rai
Contributor

A homeplug (ethernet over power) is an even better option, is slightly more expensive, and absolutely no set up required.
Aspiring Contributor

For alanchown:

Oh Yes, if that is comfortable with the user he would definetly go for it. Lovely suggested Alan.

Abhinav Rai
Guru

alanchown wrote:
A homeplug (ethernet over power) is an even better option, is slightly more expensive, and absolutely no set up required.

Be warned though, some of them can cause REIN ....

And deplete broadband performance.