Aspiring Contributor
Peabody
Accepted Solution

email error "Server Response: '451 Invalid Smtp line - Should end with CRLF'"

[ Edited ]

I am repeatedly getting this message when sending mail from smpt mail.btintenet.com :

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Re: Case AVG#0000334806: [ ref:00D4000000086fU.5004000000ADEMJ:ref ] RE: AVG technical support - e-mail scanner gmail issues', Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 Invalid Smtp line - Should end with CRLF', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I am also getting "password rejected" message.  I have twice re-set my original password on the Servers page of my OE bt account, also in the smtp settigns.  i have visited my BT-Yahoo inbox and find I am still logged in  there, and can receive from there in OE.
Aspiring Expert
MikeFlint

Re: email error "Server Response: '451 Invalid Smtp line - Should end with CRLF'"

I'm assuming you can send okay from the BT Yahoo webmail page?

The error (to my eyes) is saying that one of the SMTP headers being sent is incorrectly terminated. It could be something in the body of your message confusing the mail server, although this is unlikely. It's almost as though OE is formatting the message incorrectly??

Have you tried copying the text in the message and inserting this into a new mail message and sending that?

In my water, I think this is more of an OE problem than a fault with BTs mail servers; but I didn't get a winner at Aintree, so what do I know!
Expert
PheeragHfre

Re: email error "Server Response: '451 Invalid Smtp line - Should end with CRLF'"

You might find some useful hints for that error message here?

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/802106.htm

It could also be your AVG E-mailing scanning setup?

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Aspiring Contributor
Peabody

thank you! ... I've already tried sending the offending mail as an attachment to another friend, in case he could diagnose soemthing like that, and got the same error repeatedly. I've also tried with the AV email scanner both enabled and disabled. However, when I zipped both offending mails, the original and the one to the friend, and then sent the zipped filem it seemed to be sent without any problem. But i will now try nesting the text of the mail (without the attachments) as you suggest. Thanks

The original mail has some attachments that I have created myself. I have scanned their unzipped contents without finding anything

I have also checked Outlook Express (presumably including file Msimn.exe) is listed in Windows Firewall Exceptions (as per BT Broadband Help instructions for error code 0x800CCC0F)

Aspiring Contributor
Peabody

many thanks for the replies. Problem seems solved, but not explained ...

It was one of the attachments... I tried sending the offending email with no attchment and it went.

I then serially sent the attachments in other emails, and found that the one that caused an error was a brief email that I had orignally sent to myself as a test in case the Properties would help diagnosis of another different problem. I had then saved it to My Docs and sent as one of 3 attachments .

I have now sent it alone as a wee zip file, and it seems to have gone OK.

Don't understand why attaching an email scanned and saved in MY Docs in that way shoudl have caused a problem??

Aspiring Contributor
Peabody

PS when I tried sending just the attachments before identifyiing the offender, I got a different error message: ................ Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC6A

don't suppose this throws any further light?
Aspiring Expert
MikeFlint

SMTP (along with most of the other 'TP's) uses CRLF to signify a 'line end' with the SMTP control lines prior to the message body. Your original error (and this one) imply that there was a problem with one of the control lines. I think this unlikely, and what's more likely is that part of the message content was being assumed to be a control line. This is very unlikely - once a mail server parses the control lines, the remainder of the body/content is taken to be of no interest - unless this is a multi-part mime message - which I guess this was, as you generally send out a plain-text and rich-text version of a message. It could be that the multi-part boundary was within the message itself?? This seems odd, as the boundary value is generally random, and re-created for each message (in most mail clients).

So, that's an interesting mystery. I suspect it might never happen again. Perhaps a stray byte character in the message meant base64 encoding was forced, and that led to a problem.

If you are keen on more investigation, I think you'd have to post up the actual message content and you might not be happy to do that - beware of divulging personal data(!)
Aspiring Contributor
Peabody

[ Edited ]

The  message is too long to post here, and I have now sent the text of the message alone successfully. The original message had 3 attachments, I have now tried sending each one separately, 2 of them went successfully the third produced a version of the error (see my previous post).

This third attachment was a very brief email (just the From: To: and Subject lines completed, no text) that I had created and sent to myself to test for another problem. I saved it to My Docs, and inserted it as attachment along with the 2 other attachments. Perhaps one should not have done this with an email? maybe something in its Properties confused the process through the mail server? So when I finally sent it successfully in a Zip file the error was avoided.

anyway, with luck it won't recur. But thank you very much for your interesting reply.

Aspiring Contributor
Peabody

[ Edited ]

Solved?: a knowledgeable friend has sent me this link: http://cr.yp.to/docs/smtplf.html
and says that in his experience " The CRLF error is surprisingly common and is nearly always associated with
forwarding an email which had been successfully received ... I could only conclude that the original email had become corrupted in transit."

NB;  NOT SOLVED, SEE NEXT POST

Aspiring Contributor
Peabody

[ Edited ]

NOT SOLVED YET sorry, it is much more complicated:

All mails I send out of OE from either bt or gmail accounts, are sent with bt smtp server: mail.btinternet.com .  Outgoing mail is not scanned by AVG n any case, and the problem occurs whether AVG email scanner is enabled or not.

All the HTML mails that I have created and sent to myself at least for the past month, whether from bt account to gmail or vice versa, or just bt to bt, cause error 451 etc when forwarded as attachments after I have received them.

BUT the problem does not occur when the original, forwarded email was written in Plain text, even if the mail in which it is forwarded is HTML.

Also, those same HTML mails that later cause the error when forwarded after they have been received, can be forwarded as attachments OK from the Sent box, but not from the Inbox after receipt.

But both HTML and plain text mails other people have sent me CAN be forwarded OK as attachments from either account.

Mails sent to myself from the BY Yahoo and gmail webmail can both be forwarded again in OE to bt without any error (but those from bt to bt  end up in BT Yahoo spam folder, until manually checked as "Not Spam").

Is something in the bt smtp server causing the problem, since all mails I send from OE go through that server ...?