Beginner
great1

enabling dhcp on the openreach vdsl modem possible?

good evening all!

just had my infinity installation done and its really great. if anyone has read my other post a week ago about my questions of using powerline adapter to connect the modem to the homehub, the answer is YES! Much to my delight (and that of the engineer who said he didnt think it would work) it does work . i have the modem connected to the master socket downstairs and then upstairs in the loft we have the homehub.

there is one problem. it appears that any other powerline adapter i connect (say for example to connect another pc) this doesnt work. i think this is because the openreach modem has dhcp disabled. does anyone know how to access the settings of the modem to see if we can change this or change the software back to the huwaei version (i assume the modem software is custom bt one).

thanks for any tips/advice

but i think for other people who want to use powerlines then go ahead!! IT WORKS!

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: enabling dhcp on the openreach vdsl modem possible?

If you add a third powerline adapter, it will need to be configured. If that is what you are trying to do.
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert
a_rad

Unlikely I'll ever see one of these modems but at a guess you might need to go modem > hub > adapter > sockets > adapters > PCs

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
Contributor
Trancetek

what speed you get??
Expert
IanC

great1 wrote:
it appears that any other powerline adapter i connect (say for example to connect another pc) this doesnt work. i think this is because the openreach modem has dhcp disabled.

I think you mean the router, surely ?

Beginner
great1

my speed test on infinity

with regards to configuring the powerline adaptors, i dont think i have to because i had them set up and working properly prior to the installation (all of them running the same firmware etc) i cant quite figure out why this isnt working.

Beginner
great1

[ Edited ]

the router does have dhcp enabled :smileytongue:

sorry, just to make it a bit clearer my set up is as follows:

master socket>modem>adaptor1>homehub>adaptor2

adaptor1: i am using this adaptor in liu of a regular ethernet cable between the modem (downstairs) and the homehub (upstairs)

adaptor2: needed between the power socket and the homehub

i think the problem lies with adaptor one (located near the modem) as the first 'port of call' for the powerline adaptor really should be with the router (which then assigns IP addresses to other subsequently connected adaptors through its dhcp server which the modem downstairs cannot do?

someone please correct me if this is wrong. i am not claiming to be an expert at this...this is purely experimentation which i hope goes well!

once again, any advice would be much appreciated

Aspiring Expert
a_rad

Not an expert either but AFAIK "the powerline adaptor really should be with the router (which then assigns IP addresses to other subsequently connected adaptors through its dhcp server which the modem downstairs cannot do?" is spot on.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
Beginner
great1

ok i think i've cracked it :smileysurprised:

what i have now done is run 2 powerline adaptors to the homehub as follows:

one adaptor connected to the ethernet WAN port (the red broadband port) which apparently is ONLY connected to the openreach modem

another adaptor connected to one of the 3 remaining REGULAR (non WAN) ports which then distributes the network connection as did my previous set up.

in conclusion, it appears that the WAN port was the source of the problem, not the modem. this red port must be specially configured to only accept communications from the openreach modem and nothing else.

the only downside is that i have 2 big powerline adaptors connected to the homehub which aesthetically isnt great. and i need to purchase some additional adaptors to re-connect my other 2 devices (given that i've now 'lost' a pair for teh purpose of connecting homehub to modem).

i think this should be made into a sticky thread as this is groundbreaking information! all the bt people (sales/technical) had no definitive answer for me and the engineer was just as impressed as i was. i am sure this will be valuable information for anyone else who has a setup similar to mine where you need to separate the router from the modem.

thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Aspiring Contributor
Sandy_P

You got there in the end, and you are absolutely right.  The red port is only capable of talking to the Openreach modem.  The yellow ethernet ports are LAN ports for connecting your Home network to your router.

And, it is correct that it is just an ethernet connection between modem and hub.  What is unfortunate is that you cannot have a long ethernet connection between your master socket and the Openreach modem.

Only caution I would give you with your use of two sets of powerline adapters is that the speed of the device connecting via powerline might be slowed down because it has to share the power supply speed with the modem/router connection.