ukste12

poor connection and strange help from bt

Today i contacted bt to report poor laggy connection, i ran a speedtest and my ping was slightly high at 35ms normally its 25-30. Also my download speed was up and down from 5 meg to 6, normally its 7 meg.

The test then tried an upload test which failed. I tried another 5 speedtest websites and all upload tests failed. I then ran a pingtest which gave me a ping of 40 and also failed to show packetloss.

As You can see from this test here >> http://www.pingtest.net/result/65389595.png

So as above i contacted bt, and bt told me that the weather was affected my wireless router? I explained that i only have a pc which is connected to the router via ethernet cable and that it was not using a wireless single.

Bt told me again that the weather the mist and fog was affecting the wireless bt home hub 3 and that they would reset the channel for it on their side which would then take a couple of hours to sort out before my internet would be back to normal.

Now im not an expert but i have been online for 7 years now and bt is my 3rd isp, ive never had any isp say the weather is affecting my router.

I explained to bt that my router is connected to a phone line and that line runs underground to the exchange, Bt said " dont worry its the weather affecting your wireless connection " again im thinking hold on ive just told you im not connectiing via wireless and that im connected via a cable to the hub which is connected to my bt phone line box.

Then bt say " have u got a cell phone " i said yes BT said " well does your cell phone have a strong signal everywhere you go " i said no Bt said " then this is the same for your connection" ????? 

What????

Is it me getting it all wrong here? I explained again that im connected via cable which runs underground and how can this be affected by fog and mist ?

Bt said "dont worry sir its just the weather give it 3-4 hours and everything will be fine".

Starting to get tired of trying to explain about my connection and just gave up and said yes yes your are correct, and left it at that.

But in all honesty i phoned the tech line to discuss connectuon issues, find the fault and try fix it. But all i got was strange feedback that was making no sense at all.

It felt like the BT support guy i was talking to was not intresting in explaining what the real problem was and it felt like i was just being fobbed off with any excuss possible.

Sage
imjolly

Re: poor connection and strange help from bt

I agree with you that weather is not affecting your wifi as you use ethernet but bad weather could affect your phone line and therefore your broadband - damp connection at cabinet.

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ukste12

Its very frustrating talking to someone who clearly has no idea what they are talking about. Yes i understand weather can affect things but he didnt seam to understand my issues and what i was asking.

Sage
john46

if you can carry out the tests an post back the results imjolly has posted then we can help you further
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’