Aspiring Contributor
epsom56
Accepted Solution

" connected with limited access"

[ Edited ]

just set up bt connection but cant get to home page or other webpages. am connected to home hub via a wireless dongle, and wirelsss dongle says am connected to the home hub.

however the internet icon in the system tray says " connected with limited access" and when click on browser it comes up with a message that unable to find home page/website. On my control panel it shows a yellow exclamation mark between pc and " network" (?) and a red x between network and the internet.

what is limited access - it doesnt allow ANY form of access!

am writing this @ work for obviuos reasons!

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: " connected with limited access"

Limited or local connection means that there is no path to the Internet, but the local network can be seen.

Make sure that the "Internet" light on your home hub is showing the correct state, as per instructions.

Enter http://192.168.1.254 into you web browser and see if you get the home hub menu. If you do not, then its possible that you have entered the wireless security key incorrectly, as this will also give a "limited connectivity" message.

If you can connect a direct Ethernet cable between you home hub and your computer, then try that to see if it works.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
epsom56

link to home hub didnt work so deafualted to moving the computer to within distance of the ethernet cable, which ha sgot me up and running. wirless will have to wait for another day!

james-h

Keith

I have a new Home Hub 3. The main PC is connected via ethernet cable and works fine, and iPad works wirelessly fine, and another PC works wirelessly fine. Laptop works fine through ethernet cable, BUT cannot achieve wireless internet connection beyond the hub itself - I get 'Limited Connection' message, and a red X between hub and internet when I run the diagnostics. Although the laptop is only a few years old, and the Home Hub claims to handle various generations of wifi (802.11.b g or n) - the laptop runs g - I am now wondering if it's a wifi compatibility problem. Is this a known issue, please, and what are the fixes?

would welcome any advice

James

Sage
imjolly

you could try changing wireless in hub to just b/g which often helps

did you install the bt cd?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

See Wireless Help

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

james-h

Thanks for the suggestion; I've now tried changing to b/g - sadly, no visible effect, so I've gone back to the recommended setting.  If I put the BT cd in again, what should I look for?

james-h

thanks for this - I will work through the options tomorrow. Obviously I am not alone with this issue.

Sage
john46

the forum suggests that you avoid the BT Cd as it can cause more problems than it can solve
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Did you try all of my options including setting the encryption to WPA only?

Make sure you are using the wireless key and not the admin password.