Beginner
ballibeg

silent line test

My line suddenly became very noisy on voice calls so I read about the silent line test and began investigating.

I've an old quirky house but much time was spent changing filters around and eliminating possible sources. Finally I found it! It's the home hub 2! I've tried all my 5 filters and it's very noisy on the silent line test but no home hub connected and it's perfectly silent.

Note how do I explain to the support folk on the telephone? Do I have to get a new router?

Ta

Dave
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Re: silent line test

How long has it been working fine, before the problems started?  Are you rural, on a long line?  Any new folks in the neighbourhood?

I'll ask this before I blame your Bell Set Type 41!

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Beginner
ballibeg

Close to exchange. No new neighbours. Stable at 6 Meg for four years.

Please don't blame my bell set!
Thanks,

Dave
Sage
john46

hi if your line is noisey then you need to phone BT Faults on 151 and report a noisey line but do not mention broadband when you call once any noise is solved then your broadband will improve
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
ballibeg

Is this the correct tactic even if I know it's the home hub making the noise?

Ta,

Dave
Sage
imjolly

if it is the hub then phone CS india 08001114567 and complain that hub is causing noise on your line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
coffear

[ Edited ]

If you know that the hub is causing an issue it will be pointless calling 151 as they will send a PSTN engineer who will not be able to rectify the issue.

The best way to test these issues is to disconnect everything. Plug only the phone in. If the line is still noisy it is the line or the phone. Try another phone, possibly even try the test socket if you have 1.

If all is fine when unplugging the devices then plug the filter and the router back in. Try again. If this is still noisy again change the filter. If the line is still noisy after a new filter has been tried after ensuring that no other devices are plugged in (such as sky boxes etc) call 0800 111 4567 as imjolly suggested and they should replace the hub as it would appear that it is this causing the issue. Be assured tho they will ask you to test with a new filter and from the test socket.

Beginner
ballibeg

Having read the advice I went through the checks again. This time I labelled the filters and made a chart of disconnections to make in order to test each device with each filter.

The chart shows that filter 4 if plugged in resulted into an active device caused a noisy line. I have replaced filter 4 and touch wood all seems ok. Quiet line and the broadband has not reset for over an hour (it was every 5 mins).

I guess with all my filters looking the same I got confused as I switched them around. Label them and the job got a whole lot easier. Still unsure if this is the big fix as the wet weather has moved on!

Thanks folks,

Dave