jtradev
Accepted Solution

speedtester.bt.com

I am on BT's Option 3 program and using BT's speedtester, www.speedtester.bt.com, I get the result that my maximum achievable download speed is 1000Kbps which is well short of what I would expect from an up to 8Mbps service.  The BT help desk is worse than useless and after some three quarters of an hour trying to persuade them that it looks like my download speed has been reset, their response is to tell me to keep re-testing and after a week get back to them again.  Could anybody tell me whether or not I'm making some sort of fundamental mistake in the reading of the speedtester data and, if not, How to get to a real engineer to get my service reset?

Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Re: speedtester.bt.com

You have to remember that your broadband contract is for internet with speeds up to 8Mbps - so in BT's eyes, you've got nothing to complain about with the speed you are getting.   Think of it like walking into a pub, ordering a pint, being charged full price then being handed a pint glass with a dribble of beer in the bottom!

We don't know what speed your line is capable of delivering, so can you get the router stats and post them back here.

1. Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser.This will bring up the Home Hub Manager.

1. Select the "Advanced" tab
2. Enter your password (if you were sensible and picked one for hub access!)
3. Select "Advanced Settings"
4. Select "Broadband" or "Internet"
5. Select ADSL

This should give you the stats. Copy them into a post and put them up on the forum.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

jtradev

GeneralDisquiet wrote:

You have to remember that your broadband contract is for internet with speeds up to 8Mbps - so in BT's eyes, you've got nothing to complain about with the speed you are getting.   Think of it like walking into a pub, ordering a pint, being charged full price then being handed a pint glass with a dribble of beer in the bottom!

We don't know what speed your line is capable of delivering, so can you get the router stats and post them back here.

1. Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser.This will bring up the Home Hub Manager.

1. Select the "Advanced" tab
2. Enter your password (if you were sensible and picked one for hub access!)
3. Select "Advanced Settings"
4. Select "Broadband" or "Internet"
5. Select ADSL

This should give you the stats. Copy them into a post and put them up on the forum.

Thanks for your advice

Stats are as follows:-

Broadband connection details:

Downstream 

8,096Kbps  

Upstream

448 Kbps

I am not at this time questioning the actual download speed, only that I've apparently been limited by BT to a max 1000 Kbps

Aspiring Expert
mikejones

Best advice is to phone bangalore again, tell them to reset your ip profile, they will do it, it takes up to 6 hours but is usually done within an hour or so. Dont bother moaning to BT about not getting the speed you expect, I tried that and was refered to my terms and conditions in my broadband contract. The mail from BT said.. "Due to its very nature, aluminium lines are more susceptible to interference than copper lines, which in turn can cause broadband problems. For this reason we are unable to assist with the broadband issues further unfortunately." They went on to say..... "I am unable to offer a reduction in price, as under our Terms of Agreement we “aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service but we do not guarantee either the quality of the service or that the service will be available at all times”. The Terms of Service are available at: https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/termsandconditions?docId=28234&pageTit..." So in short they are saying that if your broadband is not as you would expect, or getting 450kbps when we told you you can get "up to" something else, then tough because we didint promise to do anything other than enforce our very legally binding contract. So give us your money and go away.
jtradev

Thanks - will do that tomorrow and let the forum know the result.
jtradev

mikejones wrote:
Best advice is to phone bangalore again, tell them to reset your ip profile,

In the event a call to Bangalore wasn't necessary.  I didn’t need to go to the help desk because on the older BT hub, the white one, there’s a reset button on the back.  This changed my maximum achievable speed from 1000 Kbps to a very acceptable 7150 Kbps.   Thank you very much for your help.

fickster3021

[ Edited ]
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:39:23
Downstream1,151 Kbps
Upstream446 Kbps

ADSL settings I can not get a good service, visits from engineers and so many calls to India, been over 2 mnonths and still no fix!!!

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)30.3 dB / 21.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)28.5 dB / 14.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)20.6 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Expert
Geoff93

Fickster - you would be better off starting your own thread. As this has been marked solved not many people will look at it. When you do please post the full stats from your router - click on the more details button and the results from the bt speed tester.

From what you have posted you have a noise / frequent disconnections issue.