Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

upload speed problem

4 weeks ago I noticed that web pages were loading more slowly than usual and trying to attach files to e-mails failed.
Anyway, I carried out a series of speed tests with the following results:

5.00pm ping=50 download=5.4Mbps upload=0.01Mbps
6.00am ping=50 download=5.4Mbps upload=0.38Mbps

Further tests show that the upload speed deteriates afte 8.30am until it becomes untenable at around 5.00pm.

Now as I understand it - no upload=no download  I.e. if you can't ask for data you won't be sent any data.

I have replaced everything on my side of the BT socket and I still get the same results as mentioned previously.

I have phoned the helpline many times, they say there is no problem with the line but then say "oh there is something wrong, I'll investigate and call you back"(they never explain what is wrong).  What happens next is they either don't phone back or phone back with the expectation that all is OK - I tell them its not, they say "oh"  then they go off and I never hear anything until I phone to complain once more.

After the last occasion I phoned to complain, the outcome is I'm being sent a new hub, this despite my having already replacecd everything and explained that all is fine at 6.00am but not at 5.00pm (which would indicate that the problem is on the BT side of the connection in my house not mine).  I don't see how sending me another hub is going to solve this issue and I feel my complaint is either not being taken seriously or the support staff don't understand the problem (last chap had the temerity to suggest I hadn't paid my bill, for G**'s sake I'm in credit with BT).  Does anyone reading this understand what I'm trying to get across?  If you do understand, please, please can you help me get it sorted or tell me who can.

Put simply, downloadspeeds are fine 24/7 but upload speed is usless between 8.30am and 1.00am the following morning. Why?

Guru

Re: upload speed problem

What broadband service are you on .... and what exchange are you connected to?

Your area dial code may be useful as well. (not the full number)  :smileywink:

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apologies, basic info does help, doesn't it.

My broadband is BT Total Broadband Option3 and the exchange is Trearddur Bay, Anglesey (LL65) and the area code is 01407.

Guru

There was a service outage on 20/7 affecting your area code (01407) amongst others as well, originating from a problem with a network node located in Birmingham, however the outage is now cleared, and virtual paths for your exchange are showing healthy.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a problem though, as clearly you seem to have a bandwidth issue.

There are no details as such to do with the outage, but a lot of network changes have been allegedly taking place, to do with 21cn (you don't necessarily need to be on it to experience the problems though).

I think in your case it may be wise to contact a moderator to see what's happening on the line in both directions.

BT Forum Moderation Team <forum.moderation.team@bt.com>  with your account detail, and link to this thread.