Beginner
mx5duncan

wi fi problems

Hi all,

For the past few weeks I've been having problems with my wi fi. Always been OK till a few weeks ago but now I'm having to reset my hub 4 or more times a day. Problem is the wi fi signal seems to disconnect my lap top and phone and when I try to reconnect I get a message saying unable to obtain ip address but after resetting the hub, works fine for a few hours. I have tried resetting channel on hub manager but still the same problem.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Duncan

Expert
Geoff93

Re: wi fi problems

Have you tried downloading InSIDDer to see what networks are about. It may give you an idea of a less congested channel to choose.

Link to InSIDDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Which version of the HH are you using?
Beginner
mx5duncan

Thanks for your reply, will look at downloading InSIDDer in a moment. HH is the black one so I presume HH2

Cheers

Duncan

Contributor
MikeL

if you browse the the hubs home page http://bthomehub.home/.

If you have a HH2 (the curved one) and look at the bottom of the page it will give you the software version and whether it is a Type A or Type B.

Mike
Beginner
mx5duncan

Mike, Software version 4.7.5.1.83 (Type B)

Geoff, downloaded inSIDDer but cant make head nor tail of it LOL

Expert
Geoff93

[ Edited ]

Insidder2.jpg

The button at the top right will say start when you first open it - click on it.

Click on the tab that says 2.4GHz Channels - this will show the channels in use around you and their relative strengths.

Hope this helps

Beginner
mx5duncan

According to that Geoff, I'm on the best channel and have been all along which is 11 although on automatic. However, still loses connection and wont let me reconnect untill I reset the hub which is 4 or 5 times a day and has to be done every morning ....

Expert
Geoff93

Have you tried forcing the hub to use 11 rather than letting it select that one automatically?
Also you might want to check it just after you have lost connection in case someone else has switched a hub on and that is using the same channel as you.
Beginner
mx5duncan

Have set the channel to 11 and not on auto now so will see how long it lasts. Will check hub status next time it loses connection, cheers mate, your help is appreciated.

Beginner
ozone

I notice you mention phone in your mail. This problem hasn't just started since getting a new wireless mobile has it? See my post of 14/2/11

"wireless broadband and nokia phone problems"

Since getting a new mobile phone, everytime I try to connect to the HH2 wi-fi it puts a block on any wi-fi device in the house and I have to reboot router. My phone works fine on friends wi-fi routers just not mine. If not the same problem, then sorry for jumping onto your post