cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ruskyandrei
Beginner
Message 11 of 24

Re: 20 Mb ADSL down to 2 Mb for the past few days

I've changed it back to bthomehub@btbroadband.com yes.

That link is what I am using, it's still just instantly redirecting me to test 3 as soon as the test is completed for some reason.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Is it possible something is running on the pc - like backup?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ruskyandrei
Beginner
Message 13 of 24

Nothing wrong with either my PC or my laptop, the speedtester just automatically does the T3 test when I choose the diagnostic test.

Here are two regular test samples, one over my wifi and one with a wired connection. It's kind of funny actually that it happened that in this case my wifi was faster but the I re-ran the tests multiple times on both computers and the results vary wildly (on both), going from as low as ~1Mb to just under 10Mb, all within a single minute.

Wired test:

bbtest_wired.png

Wireless test:

bbtest_wifi.png

0 Ratings
ruskyandrei
Beginner
Message 14 of 24

Also I found some information on other boards that the bt wholesale speed test might automatically switch to the T3 test once the T2 test results are below the acceptable margins (which is what happened when I ran it first).

I suppose restarting my router again to get a new IP address would allow me to get the T2 test done again, but I'm pretty sure by now it should be obvious there's some kind of stability/speed issue outside of my home ?

0 Ratings
ruskyandrei
Beginner
Message 15 of 24

Since I was still up at 3 AM, took another quick test to see how it was doing before going to bed.

Will take another in the morning and post, but it seems the slowness has nothing to do with the time of day.

bbtest_2_48AM.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Some antivirus programmes have caused issues with the speedtester in the past may be worthwhile turning it off to try a speedtest

No one was suggesting there was anything wrong with your PC just that programmes running in the background can cause speed issues
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 17 of 24

Hi ruskyandrei,

I see you are on the Waterbeach exchange and it is now confirmed that your fibre cabinets bringing superfast broadband will be upgraded by September 2014.  Do you know which cabinet you are on ?

Has there been any sign of the new cabinets being installed yet.  I do wonder if any preparatory work might have affecting things?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Work on the fibre network has no affect on ADSL services as it is a totally different infrastructure and until a cabinet goes live there are no cross connections to the copper network
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 19 of 24

Hi john46,

Thanks, I appreciate that.  However, it is not the first time that people have suffered a speed drop in advance of exchanges/cabinets being prepared for fibre.  So perhaps there might be preparatory work in the exchange ?

I was just speculating and advising the OP of the immenent arrival of fibre really.

Given his previously good speed I did wonder if he might be on an EO line, that's why I asked if he knew his cabinet number.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
ruskyandrei
Beginner
Message 20 of 24

This is the exchange i am using http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAWTB

It is supposed to be upgraded to FTTC later this year (can't wait!), but I don't think they've started yet.

Just did another test this morning (~10 AM) which was looking good:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.14 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 16.49 Mbps

Interestingly my IP profile has gone down (presumably from my fiddling yesterday), but my connection feels much more solid and stable (like it used to) at the moment.

Hopefully this means whatever it was is sorted but I'll update once again after another test in the evening to be sure.

0 Ratings