cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

45 year old wiring and slow broadband speed noise on line

Living in parent home her phone line is over 40 plus years old.

She has Bt phone line that has a noise on it.

I have sky broadband and that has gone slow.

bt engineer came in put in new master socket 5c in and that worked fine for a week, then noise on phone line came back and broadband went slow again down to 0.22

called BT they said fault was on the outside and they would fix it but that lasted a day and noise and slow broadband came back.

Could the old copper wiring coming from the outside wall to master socket be faulty and needs to be replaced and should that be free.

The cable comes from front of house under floorboards to master socket under stairs

masket socket is under stairs by gas mains, fuse box, and she has a stair lift.

I heard that bt was replacing old copper lines to fibre ones for businesses, are they doing that 

new filters was put on all phone points.

should she get master socket moved to front of house near plug socket and near to outside of house connection point.

i asked open reach engineer before lockdown and they said it could be degrading of cable but they can’t say until they look. But said it should be free if they have to move master socket, as she is disabled and vulnerable, and I have asphergers.

Last engineer just came in and replaced old master socket with 5c one. Didn’t say if it was safe to have in that location, as other people have said it should have been moved.

if anyone know what I should do, as I am waiting for this lockdown to end so we can get engineer in, but I want to make sure if it will cost me as they charge £160 to move it. And I think that is wrong.

B5E93790-1D1A-4BC7-999F-CA05A0BA9037.jpeg

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: 45 year old wiring and slow broadband speed noise on line

Having a 40 year old phone line is not unusual and far more common than you think

if you have line noise then you need to report a phone fault to whichever ISP you pay FOR LINE RENTAL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Have already spoken to bt three times as I mentioned in my comment, been told they won’t send engineer to homes due to coronavirus lockdown.

When that’s ends they will send one, we have told them if they don’t sort it out we go elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

It will be the same engineer from Openreach unless you have access to Virgin.

Wire does not deteriorate from age, it deteriorates from water ingress and corrosion which could occur at whatever age the cable is, my wiring is over 40 years old and is perfectly fine as is a high proportion of the country's infrastructure. If the line is noisy at the test socket there is nothing you can do until you get an engineer visit.

0 Ratings