Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AllanRBlack
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

ADSL Connection Dropping

Go to solution

Hi, Like so many others here, my ADSL connection is being lost intermittently, particularly when the phone rings. I've followed the advice posted in many conversations here, which is to connect a pair of inline filters to the test socket, with the modem connected to the neareat filter to the test socket.

I now have this arrangement:

Test Socket ===> DSL Splitter ===> DSL Splitter ===> Phone
                            |                 | ===> (nothing)
                            | ===> Modem/Router

However I still get the connection dropping (almost always) when there is a phone call, either incoming or outgoing, and at other random times. The modem does not always lose its connection to the broadband service - sometimes throughput just drops to zero, and recovers afterwards without the modem having to reconnect. Other conversations on this board suggest I may be experiencing something called a High Resistance fault.

What is this, and what can I do about it? (I roughly understand the basics, e.g. that the DSL filter splits the signal into wavelength channels, pretty much like radio.)

The phone is a BT DECT phone, and the modem/router is a DrayTek Vigor 2862ac.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: ADSL Connection Dropping

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Its most likely a high resistance connection although a faulty filter in the exchange can cause it.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Do you have any other phone sockets or extension wiring?

All the microfilter does is to stop the broadband signal getting into the phone.

0 Ratings
AllanRBlack
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

There is a very small crackle on the quiet line test, but it may be the phone itself. Unfortunately, the only wired phone I have uses pulse dialling, and 17070 seems only to support tone dialling.

Normally, I use extension sockets, and there was an obvious audible crackling on the phone. The extensions are connected by plugging them in to the master socket with a 431A, so I only need to remove the 431A and plug in an inline filter to the test socket (I have tried several filters).

With the current config (two filters in series), the crackling is gone from the phone, but the broadband connection still drops.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

There should be no noise on the line. The crackling noise would indicate a bad connection on the external network, which is demodulating the broadband signal. ADSL is quite sensitive to low frequency noise, and usually results in a deterioration of the upstream speed and disconnections.

All the extra filter is doing is to reduce the audio bandwidth, so you cannot hear the crackling.

What does your master socket look like?

Master socket with one socket

Does your phone line come from a pole, or underground?

Are there any other phone connection boxes in your house?

0 Ratings
AllanRBlack
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, the master socket looks like the one on the left. Square, completely flat front, lower half unscrews to reveal the test socket.

The phone line comes from a pole, and there is a single master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@AllanRBlack wrote:

Hi, the master socket looks like the one on the left. Square, completely flat front, lower half unscrews to reveal the test socket.

The phone line comes from a pole, and there is a single master socket.

If it comes in from a pole, there should be an intermediate connection block somewhere, where the external cable joins the internal cable. It quire possible there is a bad connection, damp or corrosion there. Possibly similar to one of these. There should only be one external pair going into the box, and a single internal cable running direct to the master socket

dropbox.jpg

bt 78a.jpg

Also the master socket should only have one pair of wires connected to it at the back, possibly on a couple of screw terminals marked A and B.

Its worth checking for any damp or corrosion there as well.

Its more likely that that any fault is either on the DP at the top of the pole, or possibly in the cabinet, but its always worth checking internally first, if possible.

0 Ratings
AllanRBlack
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Keith, happy new year!

Found the connection block, above the external storm door, so it's in a reasonable, dry location. The outside looks exactly as in your image, but not the inside! There is no PCB or terminal array, just the box, with the connections inside it made with chock block.

conblk.jpg

0 Ratings
AllanRBlack
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, have you any suggestions what I can do about this? I'm thinking that a poor quality connection at the connection block may be at the root of the ADSL problems. However I don't think I'd be allowed to try to do anything about it myself, since it's on the upstream side of the master socket.

0 Ratings
AllanRBlack
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your help - however I have now upgraded to VDSL (for an extra 20p per month!) and since then I have not had the problem with the connection dropping.

Within a few hours of getting the, "Before we go ahead, we need to do a few checks," email, my ADSL connection suddenly ramped up from the 6-10 Mbps that it was struggling with before, to a consistent 20 Mbps, the maximum for my line. When VDSL was enabled, it jumped to 40 Mbps and has stayed there ever since. The phone no longer interferes with the broadband connection.

Looks like (as Keith suggested) the problem was in the cabinet.

0 Ratings