Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CSS721
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

ADSL_G.dmt where as my previous provider connected me via ADSL2+

I have a similar issue to  the post by Poodmund on ‎25-04-2018.

Eversince I moved over to BT from a previous provider I've been connected on ADSL_G.dmt and get an upload speed of... well... thats the issue. None. 

If i am lucky enough to even be able to finish a speed test I normally get around 80kbps. When I was on ADSL2+ I was getting nearly 600kbps. So after a long conversation with the online chat and the representative attempting to sell me "ADSL2+ Bt Infinity" (Yeah right.) he told me there was nothing that could be done at all. Rightttt.

21T9VfP

Please note the upstream and downstream are straight up false. I'm lucky to get 4.3Mbps downstream assuming I dont have packet loss. (previously 10-12)

UHpUwYy

And of course the exchange.

Attempting to speak to anyone on the phone is just a "We will sell you BT Infinity" and thats it. Smiley Indifferent

You can probably imagine how thrustrating it is not even being able to keep a stable SSH terminal open with my work server.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
Message 2 of 5

Re: ADSL_G.dmt where as my previous provider connected me via ADSL2+

Hi @CSS721,

Welcome to the community forum.

I'll be able to take a look at your connection and change you to ADSL 2+ if available. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi @CSS721 I've ordered ADSL2+ for you and the order will complete within the next 24hrs. Please monitor your connection and post back to let us know how your connection is performing after the order has completed.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
CSS721
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Looks loke the order has gone through, my router is reporting 8000-8500 down and 800-900 up. (Kbps)

I only seem to be getting around 600-670kb/s on download tests and a mere 35-45kb/s on the upload speed. Swapped out my modem and router with my pfsense system and am getting the same results.

I will give it another 24 hours and check again. Cheers.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 5

A few words of advice ...

Clearly you changed over to BT Internet from another provider ... fine.

But since you did that, your line protocol has not realised its full potential.

For whatever reason (maybe constant or high levels of resetting) the dslam negotiated g.dmt which is in fact adslmax, when in fact it will support ADSL2, which uses different line algorithms, and on both paths.

The moderators will have reset that, to effectively give your line a fresh start. And really what it needs is to be using at least a reliable BT Hub, whilst it does line training. That training can take either a few minutes, or a few days depending on what you do.

If you intervene whilst it's in progress, you may get a bad result, whereas if you leave it to harden and find the MSR it will work out better in the long-term, and especially with some line history under its belt.

My advice is forget packet loss, ping times and all the other stuff, and put a reliable modem/router/ hub on ... and leave it alone.

You'll only get a reliable throughput and download speed test through BT's own tester, simply because it lies within the BT network boundary layer ... all the others don't. And needs a wired connection, not wireless.

If your connection is clean, noise-free and stays connected, eventually any interleave will reduce, any extra noise margin will reduce and give you the MSR ... maximum stable rate. And to add to that, if it restarts on its own, that's normal at least to begin with, let it.  But for you ... hands off.

The more you intervene, the longer it will take.  Smiley Wink

0 Ratings