Hello fellow BT soldiers,
So, following a phone fault (that was eventually fixed) I've now got an additional fault listed at the "BT Retail Servers" (according to the online BT fault tracker).
For about a week we've had extremely slow download speeds, nothing much more than 0.1Mb/s - we only ever manage 1.5 - 2.5Mb speeds, which is just about workable, however being reduced to 0.1 is like returning to the days of 56k dial-up.
I ran the BT Wholesale "Broadband availability checker" which returns the below results -
Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
|ADSL Max||Up to 1.5||--||1 to 2.5||Available|
I'll be at home from 7pm onwards, so can post additional information if needed this evening (unless I can perform remote checks somehow?).
As per tradition, i've spoken to various people at BT, who have all promised resolution; no progress to date.
Solved! Go to Solution.
welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods
in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).
are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?
Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem
Thanks imjolly - I'll run these tests tonight and post.
In the meantime, quick Q; I have a Type 3: SSFP plate (as described here) - no filters plugged in as per the recommendation, and I don't believe plugging into the test socket wil make a difference with this plate?
OK so I should unscrew the face plate and connect directly, test that way - should I do this prior to running the above tests, what's the best approach?
Edit: I have tried this previously, nothing changed..
you should if you can unscrew bottom half and connect to test socket then run the tests
Hi imjolly, all,
Back online -
Dialled the 17070 number, option 2, no noise on line.
BT Diagnostic Test (this took ages to upload!!)
ADSL Line Status
|Connection time:||0 day, 00:09:45|
|Modulation:||G.992.1 Annex A|
|Noise margin (Down/Up):||10.3 dB / 20.0 dB|
|Line attenuation (Down/Up):||52.0 dB / 31.5 dB|
|Output power (Down/Up):||19.0 dBm / 11.9 dBm|
|FEC Events (Down/Up):||1 / 0|
|CRC Events (Down/Up):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Power (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Link (Remote):||0|
|HEC Errors (Down/Up):||0 / 0|
|Error Seconds (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|
Now in test socket need to see if it will stay connected 24/7. If it does then your rock bottom profile should increase automatically in 3+days If it does then post back and then see if mods will help reduce your noise margin back to 6db which will give a bit more speed