cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blatcho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 48

ADSL Max, extremely slow following phone fault (0.1Mb download at best)

Go to solution

Hello fellow BT soldiers, 

So, following a phone fault (that was eventually fixed) I've now got an additional fault listed at the "BT Retail Servers" (according to the online BT fault tracker).

For about a week we've had extremely slow download speeds, nothing much more than 0.1Mb/s - we only ever manage 1.5 - 2.5Mb speeds, which is just about workable, however being reduced to 0.1 is like returning to the days of 56k dial-up.

I ran the BT Wholesale "Broadband availability checker" which returns the below results -

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 2.5Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

I'll be at home from 7pm onwards, so can post additional information if needed this evening (unless I can perform remote checks somehow?).

As per tradition, i've spoken to various people at BT, who have all promised resolution; no progress to date. 

Help please!

Blatcho

0 Ratings
47 REPLIES 47
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 48

Re: ADSL Max, extremely slow following phone fault (0.1Mb download at best)

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Blatcho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 48

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly - I'll run these tests tonight and post.

In the meantime, quick Q; I have a Type 3: SSFP plate (as described here) - no filters plugged in as per the recommendation, and I don't believe plugging into the test socket wil make a difference with this plate?

Cheers,

Blatcho

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 48

Go to solution
The SSFP'scan occasionally fail this is why it is needed to use the test socket also if an engineer visit is needed it removes the risk of being charged
Blatcho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 48

Go to solution

OK so I should unscrew the face plate and connect directly, test that way - should I do this prior to running the above tests, what's the best approach?

Edit: I have tried this previously, nothing changed..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 48

Go to solution

you should if you can unscrew bottom half and connect to test socket then run the tests

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Blatcho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 48

Go to solution

OK thanks, will do.

0 Ratings
Blatcho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 48

Go to solution

Hi imjolly, all,

Back online -

Dialled the 17070 number, option 2, no noise on line.

BT Diagnostic Test (this took ages to upload!!)

Capture.PNG

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:09:45
Downstream:3,680 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.3 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):52.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.0 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):1 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
Blatcho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 48

Go to solution
If the image is a bit too small, text of the same info below -

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.02 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate : 3.68 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 48

Go to solution

Now in test socket need to see if it will stay connected 24/7. If it does then your rock bottom profile should increase automatically in 3+days   If it does then post back and then see if mods will help reduce your noise margin back to 6db which will give a bit more speed