Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rafspeik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

ADSL and pfsense

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm attempting to configure pfsense as my router/firewall.

I previously used a TP-Link Archer D5 as my modem/router/firewall.

I set the D5's WAN connection to to bridge mode and connected the pfsense machine to it, and assigned the port I used on the pfsense machine to WAN.

I then set up the WAN connection on pfsense as PPPOE and put in my details, but pfsense wouldn't connect to the WAN.

Is there something I've done wrong here? Hope I've included enough detail here, but if not I'm happy to answer any questions about my configuration.

Cheers,

Raf

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: ADSL and pfsense

Go to solution

ADSL is PPPoA not PPPoE, have you set VPi/VCi to 0/38?

0 Ratings
rafspeik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

PPPoA isn't an option on pfsense. I was following instructions from here http://blog.martinshouse.com/2009/09/using-ppp-over-uk-adsl-using-pfsense.html

Is that incorrect?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Not sure how you have configured the D5. The article implies you configure it to handle the PPP session rather than just as a modem. Not sure if that configuration is possible with the D5.

if it is, you need to configure the D5 with your username homehub@btbroadband.com and password BT rather than the pfsense.

0 Ratings
rafspeik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I have an HH4 that was given to us when we began the contract with BT, would I be able to use that?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

No, you can't do anything with the HH4 it is nailed down.

I'm still not entirely sure how the configuration is supposed to work and what box is doing the authentication. Does the D5 have the 1483 Bridge IP LLC mode? That would appear to be key to getting it working.

0 Ratings
rafspeik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I can't see any mention of it in the web UI, but on the manufacturer specification it says this:

Capture1.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Ok, I've had a look at the D5 emulator on the web. You need to go to Advanced > Internet where you will see 2 WAN interfaces. Click on Delete for the PPPoE interface and then click on the modify icon for the BR interface. Change VPI to 0 and VCI to 38 and click OK. See how that works. The user name of homehub@btbroadband.com and password of BT should be entered on the pfsense.

rafspeik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you! I'll give this a try after work tomorrow.

0 Ratings
rafspeik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I've been unbelievably busy! That sorted it, it's all working now.

Thank you very much!

0 Ratings