Did you mean: 
Highlighted
beetjam99
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

ADSL dropped from 8 mbps down to 1 mbps since snow

Go to solution

Hi all,

I know this may sound a little curious, but for some reason my ADSL has dropped from 8 meg down to 1 meg ever since we had the recent poor weather.

I've used the quiet line test and there is no audible noise on the line, I do recall there being noise on the line during the bad weather and wonder if that has resulted in my speed profile being degraded. I've left my personal router online for a number of days and no improvement, still stuck at 1 meg. I've also changed my filter.

Today I connected my BT Hub 6 in to see if that made any difference but it is still the same, in fact I've now noticed that my Noise Margin may be a little high?

Data rate: 1.28 Mbps / 1.15 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 1296 / 14320
Noise margin: 6.2 dB / 21.6 dB
Line attenuation:  34.5 dB
Signal attenuation:  18.8 dB / 34.5 dB

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

James

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: ADSL dropped from 8 mbps down to 1 mbps since snow

Go to solution

It will get better.

Why has my speed dropped

You will need to connected to BT Broadband to access any links I post which are hosted on my website..
If you are connected to BT Broadband, and you cannot access them, then please let me know on this thread. Thanks.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I think all the problems you previously had with connection dropping probably due to the line noise have resulted in your connection ending up in a banded profile hence the high noise margin and lower speed.  You now need a stable connection for 3/5 days and banding should start to release

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
beetjam99
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks all,

I've hooked up my BT HH 6 and going to leave that online for a week to see if things improve.

I think doing some testing of my own last night has now dropped my connection even further - I am now down to a tiny 572 Kbps with a Noise Margin of 28 db.

Data rate: 1.20 Mbps / 572 Kbps
Maximum data rate: 1204 / 12784
Noise margin: 6.4 dB / 28.3 dB
Line attenuation: 35 dB
Signal attenuation: 19.2 dB / 35 dB

If I don't see any improvement then I'll just have to raise it as a fault I guess.

Thanks,

James

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The important thing is a stable connection. This has to be 24/7 and banding should release in 3/5 days. If you cannot get a stable connection even in test socket then you will need an engineer otherwise the banding will never release

if you can get 3+ days stable connection and no sign of banding releasing then mods may be able to help as adsl2 conection so post back with stats showing connection time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
beetjam99
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Well, it appears my Home Hub was rebooted automatically after being online for 4 days and is now reporting a much better DSL data rate, it also had it's firmware updated.

The Noise Margin has also improved.

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 1 Hours 7 Minutes 40 Seconds
Data rate: 1.23 Mbps / 9.36 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 1228 / 10072
Noise margin: 5.8 dB / 15 dB
Line attenuation: 35 dB
Signal attenuation: 19.2 dB / 35 dB
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_992_5_ANNEX_A
Latency type: Fast Path

Thanks for everyone for their help!

James

0 Ratings
beetjam99
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I also think that the whole issue started with our Snow and Ice we had - is it possible for the cabinets in the street to have snow or ice inside them which then causes noise on the lines? I recall there being considerable noise bursts on ocassion when using the phone line for voice calls, it has all been silent since that weather cleared up.

Perhaps others have had similar issues due to snow or ice affecting cabinets or connections?

James

0 Ratings