Did you mean: 
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

ADSL - home hub4 poor wifi

Hi,

fisrt post so be kind 😜

Provider BT - Only have ADSL / Homehub 4 - ~DL 9Mb / UL ~0.9 Mb

we get very poor/slow wifi even when we're sat directly next to router. 

Ive tried changing  the channel multiple times yet nothing helps. 

Im thinking of swapping out the HH for a Draytek 2860 range router. 

Before I do can anyone recommend what to do to troubleshoot my HH to try and improve wifi ?

fwiw - we've got little hope of getting FTTC in foreseeable. 

Thnaks for for help in advance. Cheers

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: ADSL - home hub4 poor wifi

the draytek 2860 is just a router not modem router so you need a separate modem

have you tried a factory reset of your hub by pressing recessed button on back and holding till lights flash - 20/30 secs

are you still in fixed term contract with BT?  if so and reset does not help then phone customer services and ask for replacement hub as wifi not working on current hh4

many on forum use a tplnk 9970 and get good reports - and only £35/40

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi @imjolly, many thanks for reply.
Wifi does work just really slow.

Have tried reset and change channel.

So just request new HH ?
We're out of contract too btw 👍
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

if you are out of contract then up to you about router as BT won't replace hub for free

you are also now back on standard terms and paying way to much for your broadband  if you decide to renew and save money phone options team 0800800030 and negotiate a new deal and new hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks good suggestion. Will call them and give them first dibs at keeping our business 👍

0 Ratings
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

To add even if we chose to stay with them would still be thinking of getting my own router (with modem). Have many devices connecting via powerline and some wifi. Would getting my own router with better spec help ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

as I posted the tplink 9970 is popular and appears to give good coverage but is only single band 2.4ghz  that may not bother you and it should work with your powerline adapters

0 Ratings
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for clarification have devices which can work with 2.4 & 5 - so may look at a device which provides both. 

0 Ratings