Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

ADSL packet loss

Hi again,

i've been on fast path for a long time now, but for the last month or so i've had this horrid packet loss where my connection will drop for a good 3-15 secs every 5-15minutes sometimes more than once and it's making everything impossible to do with gaming/streaming

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068340+NQ41749822
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.32.1.3 (Type A) Last updated 30/07/18
4. Board version:BT Hub 4A
5. ADSL uptime:3 days, 00:22:28
6. Bandwidth:1131 / 10327
7. Data sent/received:391.6 MB / 7.5 GB
8. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT Wi-fi:Yes
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-WGP8
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
14. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-WGP8
15. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
16. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. Firewall:Default
19. MAC Address:40:f2:01:1e:82:b0
20. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
21. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
22. Latency type:Fast
23. Software variant:-
24. Boot loader:-

22:33:37, 30 Dec.( 76.960000) DSL noise margin: 5.80 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
22:33:36, 30 Dec.( 75.980000) DSL line rate: 1131 Kbps upstream, 10327 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: ADSL packet loss

@James_lol 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

are you Ethernet connection not wireless for your testing?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

i'm via powerline Ethernet, have been for years with no issues. It's doing it on wireless also on other devices. my internet has had no issues for over 12 months until recently.

thanks for the replies!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

having used powerline adapters and had problems with connection after a period can you try connecting with Ethernet between hub and device and see if that improves your connection 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Hi again, it's still doing it. getting annoying now! it's doing with all devices so it must be cables, modem or ISP?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@James_lol wrote:

Hi again, it's still doing it. getting annoying now! it's doing with all devices so it must be cables, modem or ISP?

Did you check for noise on the phone line, as I suggested, as that will cause problems?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Just got around to it now, still experience the drop outs, while in a Skype call for example the voice will completely drop out for seconds. I did the quiet line test and there is some noise crackling static on the line as well as a constant white noise but i presume that's always there

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Any line noise especially if you have used the test socket is a problem and you should report a phone fault not broadband to 151. Get rid of noise and connection will improve

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

As @imjolly  has said, it must be quiet, as any noise will affect ADSL badly, owing to the limited bandwidth that is available.

Noise causes errors in transmission which can only be corrected by re-transmitting the data again, until its received error free.

This is what is causing your latency and packet loss.

0 Ratings