Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bds38
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

ADSL speed and internal wiring

Evening,

We recently moved over to BT from TalkTalk and the OpenReach chappie that came and installed the line seemed a bit confused at first. I was under the impression we were getting a "new line" and a new line meant a new run of copper from the telegraph pole outside our house. Instead this meant that the OpenReach engineer cut the old LLU TalkTalk wires, changed them over to BT at the Exchange and we didn't actually get a new line?

My main concern is that the wiring in my house seems a little.... off. We only seem to have one phone socket and the OR engineer didn't seem to think that the old TT phone socket was the master. Having said all this, we get a reasonable internet connection - 15Mbps pretty much all the time.

However, I am pretty sure the DSL checker website says up to 19Mbps and of course BT say up to 21Mbps. Is it possible that somewhere in the house there is a master copper wire that hasn't been terminated or something that is missing a microfilter and therefore slowing down my broadband? Or would it be drastically lower than 15Mbps if that were the case? 

Help me BT gurus, you are my only hope!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: ADSL speed and internal wiring

@bds38wrote:

Evening,

We recently moved over to BT from TalkTalk and the OpenReach chappie that came and installed the line seemed a bit confused at first. I was under the impression we were getting a "new line" and a new line meant a new run of copper from the telegraph pole outside our house. Instead this meant that the OpenReach engineer cut the old LLU TalkTalk wires, changed them over to BT at the Exchange and we didn't actually get a new line?

My main concern is that the wiring in my house seems a little.... off. We only seem to have one phone socket and the OR engineer didn't seem to think that the old TT phone socket was the master. Having said all this, we get a reasonable internet connection - 15Mbps pretty much all the time.

However, I am pretty sure the DSL checker website says up to 19Mbps and of course BT say up to 21Mbps. Is it possible that somewhere in the house there is a master copper wire that hasn't been terminated or something that is missing a microfilter and therefore slowing down my broadband? Or would it be drastically lower than 15Mbps if that were the case? 

Help me BT gurus, you are my only hope!

Hello @bds38

1st off, what does this BT DSL Checker show for your speeds?  If you can take a screen shot, removing/blanking out your number from the top of the page.   Here's an example (using an address as i am not on BT) 

11CT_Address_FTTC.JPG

It's not unusual to have a line "reused" like you have.  Mine was taken (many years ago) by Virgin Media, and then when I moved back to an OpenReach service (non Virgin) the engineer reused the old line, and took it back from Virgin.  I did get a nice new socket though. 

Do you have any other sockets in the house?  Have you tried a phone in them at all? 

Also have you tried a phone in the current socket, to see if you can hear any noise?  This will affect broadband speeds. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 14

The LLU Equipment stops at the HDF Tie Pairs in the Exchange. It doesn’t extend right out to the NTE.

The line between the MDF in the Exchange and NTE is maintained by Openreach so it’s completely normal for the Engineer to use that.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

As already stated, what you got is perfectly normal, in fact it's surprising  you got an engineer visit at all, generally because  TT  and your 'new' provider BT , both use the Openreach 'line' into you house, normally the only engineering work is done at the exchange ( disconnecting the 'line'  from TT's equipment and connecting it to the new providers equipment)

If the existing socket was acceptable for providing TT's service, then it should be acceptable for providing anyone else's service too...unless it's faulty there is no need to change it, the engineer should have tested the line after it was 'installed' and presumably the test result was OK.

Although  you say it's a 'new' line , unless your intention was to have two lines, so keeping the TT line working as well as having this 'new' BT line, then reusing everything that already existed from the exchange to your house (the  Openreach part) is normal, any perfectly acceptable for the OR person to do it

bds38
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Sorry for the delay - 

My speed results are: 

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 19.5--15 to 21Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 19.5Up to 1.515 to 21Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRI--      
NTEFaceplate--      
Last Test Date--   

We actually specifically asked for a new line, as we wanted a new service from BT installing and have that running simultaniously at the same time as the TalkTalk service. However, the engineer disconnected TT and replaced it with a BT line instead.

I have discovered another wall socket upstairs that is working. I put a filter into it but obviously this hasn't done anything as there isn't a phone plugged into it.

Having done a bit of digging, we should be less than 1km from the exchange, certainly close enough to be getting > 15mbps. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

can you post router stats

if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bds38
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

1. Product Name: HomeHub4
2. Serial number: +076281+1711000093
3. Firmware version: v0.07.04.01235-BT (Type B) Last updated 14/6/2017
4. Board version: 01B
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 09:50:43
6. Data Rate: 1059 / 19159
7. Maximum Data Rate: 1060 / 19216
8. Noise Margin: 7.1 / 3.1
9. Line Attenuation: 6.6 / 13.0
10. Signal Attenuation: 7.7 / 18.3
11. Data sent/received: 221.9 MB / 3.9 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-M2M9
15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Disabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA & WPA2 (Recommended)
17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: HotelLeMeow
19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 n (up to 300 Mb/s))
20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only
21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 48:8d:36:01:23:48
24. VPI/VCI: 0/38
25. Modulation: G.992.5(ADSL2+)
26. Latency type: Fast
27. Software variant: -
28. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:47:59 2014)
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

If your intention was to keep the TT line as well as getting a new line from BT , why did you agreee to the TT line being disconnected in favour of the BT one ?, presumably you could have said you wanted both lines working alongside each other and the engineer wouldn't have had any choice but to do a full 'install' ..if it was indeed a new line order for BT, then presumably, even though your TT service is disconnected, unless you have subsequently contacted them , you will still be paying for their service even though you are not receiving it, as they wouldn't know about this arrangement.

Although most master sockets are NTE5 type sockets, ( standard kit on installs since the early 80's) , there will still be older master  LJU ( line jack units) in existence , these don't have a removable bottom section, the entire faceplate is one piece, there  is no easy way to isolate extensions, and an extension LJU looks the same the difference is inside the socket , a master has a large capacitor, the extension LJU doesn't....the problem is if you have extensions , and wanted to keep them, it's not just a case of replacing the master  LJU with a NTE socket, perhaps that's why the engineer left the  existing master in situ ....if your 'feed' is overhead , if you follow he route of the drop wire from the pole to the house, chances are the master LJU is the socket closest to where the drop wire enters the property 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@bds38

from your stats you have a great 19mb connection speed which is top of estimate from dslchecker not the 15mb you said

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bds38
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

It seems to be fluctuating. I am getting a constant 16-16.5mbps. But not 19mbps - I have never attained that speed.
0 Ratings