cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1300GT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

ADSL2+ - No longer even half as fast for over 2 months

Had ADSL2+ for a 10 months without any problems, connected solidly at 23Mbs throughout all of that time as i'm very close to exchange.  However, last 2 months the max I can connect is 14Mbs and my router reports the internet connection regularly drops (usually overnight, around the 1am time) and that is it altering Db levels to maintain connection.  As such I have been put into a banded profile a couple of times. (At present on a 12Mbs profile).

I have no noise on the line, and I have replaced all of the following:  Filters, all cables and the Router itself.  I only have one master socket in the house so I contacted BT who sent an engineer out.  He tested the BT line back from the master socket and sent diagnostics to whoever to analyse but it came back reporting there is nothing wrong with their line to my house and there is nothing more they can do; it must be my equipment.  

Next step I decided to take the faceplate off the master socket and leave the router directly accessed to that.  I left it like this without touching it for nearly 4 weeks.  Nothing improved, router regularly shows disconnects on the wan, still reports bad line and speed never improved.  

So what do I do now? BT don't want to know and say its my equipment. Please don't say leave it and it will improve, I've left it for nearly a month!

Various test results and stats attached.  (The wholesale result was carried out with a wired connection direct to master socket)

Exchange.jpg

Router Stats.jpg

BT Wholesale Results.jpg

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: ADSL2+ - No longer even half as fast for over 2 months

until you can maintain a stable 24/7 connection your noise margin will not start to reduce which in turn will prevent the connection speed increasing
0 Ratings
1300GT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Ok so how do I do that...? I left it plugged in untouched into the master socket for a month?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

please try the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone any noise heard should be reported as a voice line fault with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
1300GT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I've done all that. As I said in first post there is no noise on the line.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

then all I can suggest to you is phone the help line and request another engineer visit
0 Ratings
1300GT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Great so only answer is get another engineer out to simply tell me it's not them but this time get charged over £100 for the privilege... I've already tried telling BT over the phone that just maybe the open reach engineer missed something but that didn't seem to go down to well and I'm told that's not possible.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

the only way to solve your disconnection problem is an engineer

Your questions are primarily answered by other BT customers. The only employees on our community are the forum moderators and a few subject matter experts. We can easily be identified by our title underneath our username. The replies you will receive are from customers who's only intention is to help, so while we appreciate you have likely come to the forum because something has gone wrong and you are probably very annoyed, please don't take this out on members trying to help
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

if you are connected to the test socket and there is no line noise there is nothing else you can do to resolve the disconnection problem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

you appear to have done everything you can to prevent the disconnections - test socket, new filter, new cable - and as quiet line test ok then you need to get engineer back  leaving it will not magically fix itself

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings