Ok, I eagerly anticipated the upgrade of Audlem Exchange (WMADM), RFS date set for 31st March 2012, date came and passed and nothing happened. Then we were told that everything would be completed by 17th April, and that we would have to put up with some disruption and slow speeds....no problem it will all better after the upgrade. 17th came and passed and we got a further email saying it had been delayed by a further few days, again not brilliant but it will be worth the wait!
The exchange finally seemed to be upgraded around the 20th April and we were told the usual story of now there is a 10 day learning period to establish the best connection, again expected this and it would definitely be worth the wait! So we are now 12+ days since the upgrade and the overall net effect is as follows:-
1) Best part of 5 weeks of ridiculously slow speeds during upgrade 300K at times
2) Now its settled at a sync speed of 576K and an IP profile of around 400K
3) Before the upgrade I have been on 900K to 1Mb IP profile and a sync speed of approx 1.2MB for the past 2yrs
So in summary, 5 weeks of virtually useless service in the hope it would all be worth the wait, to find that I'm now on half the speed that I was on before the upgrade - fantastic, should I only pay half the bill?
I have a line attenuation of approx 63dB which if you put into any of the adsl2+ calculators comes up with a figure of aprox 2MB download for ADSL2+, I have a quarter of that, and half what I had before the upgrade.
Any suggestions......can we downgrade??
Hi tractorman, Welcome to the forums.
Please can you post your Line stats from your router by going to: 192.168.1.254 -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Broadband -> ADSL -> Click on More details, and post all of the stats into a post so we can see what your Noise Margin figures are.etc?
Are you sure you were switched over to the new kit? When an exchange is upgraded, not all of the lines it serves is upgraded to the new kit - It can take months for the process to complete (As I found out 😛 ).
The DLM should adjust your connection to ADSL2 if it sees the need to (Especially on a line as long as yours - I would expect ADSL1 to perform the best but i'm not entirely sure if the 21CN DLM has that as an option).
Here are the stats:-
Hi are you connected to the test socket also have you removed the bell wire from terminal 3 this is a link http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html try these first then post back please
connection time is very low was that due to the router dropping connection or was it a manual reset to try and improve your connection
Connection time is low due to manual reset last night. I have not done any manual resets during the 10 day learning period.
I will do the test socket in the next few hours and psot the results.
I'm on a similar connection / long line
I've managed to squeeze out 1.2Mb for quite a while using the amazing 2 Wire 2700 and a filtered faceplate
My exchange (Freethorpe) is down for 21CN WBC at the end of June but all the availabilty checkers (incl wholesale) say ADSL2+ is available for my line now.
Tried calling sales but they say its not available and although 'up to 16mb' has suddenly become an upgrade option on 'My BT' the order always fails at the last stage - even when trying to upgrade to Option 3 from 2.
Could be coincidence, but since finding out I *should* be able to get ADSL2+ by profile has dropped to 750k, I'm syncing at 1086 and my router seems to show I've been capped at 1086.
All the advice here so far has been for long lines ADSL2+ won't improve things or could even make them worse.
However, I'm willing to give it a try as until I squeezedout that 1Mb couple of years ago all the checkers said I would get 250k or nothing at all - it then quoted 1Mb only after I'd achieved it :smileylol: the current checker text says I will get 1Mb to 3.5Mb with ADSL2+
Understand ADSL2+ technology is more sensitive to noise but when you suffer such poor speed for so long anyway you want to give anything a go
Yeah, but it always said (for me) 'up to 8Mb'
It now says 'up to 16Mb' which I believe means ADSL2+
if your attenuation is still 74db as in a previous post then ads2/2+ will never give you 16mb even 1.6mb would be really good