cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikem55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

ADSL2+ up stream speed problem

My ADSL2+ service has been great since having a line fault (noisy ) fixed last August .

However, over the last couple of weeks the HH4 has rebooted itself a few times .

At first this caused no problems at all. But over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that the downstream noise margin has changed to 3.5 (ish) from 6  and the upstream margin has varied between 8 to 13.  as of the 13th Feb the downstream speed is now 15729 and the upstream speed is 787 .

on the 2nd Feb they were 17210 down and 1251 up with noise margins of 3.1 down and 6.5 up .

I have checked out all of the wiring , carried out a quite line test at various times of the day and evening with nothing at all in terms of line noise . I have an ADSL type front plate adapter, so all internal house phone wiring is after the ADSL filter 

It does seem that the HH4 reboots itself every four or five days .

Any thoughts   

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: ADSL2+ up stream speed problem

Having a filtered faceplate does not stop your internal extension wiring from causing problem with your connection  it just saves you using filters on the extension sockets hence why one of first things you try is connecting to the test socket with a filter as this eliminates all internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mikem55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi , yes , that really what I was trying to say . I've tested the BB with the ADSL plate removed and using the test socket and a plug in filter. And all seems ok noise wise .
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

With a stable connection your speed should return but could take a few weeks stable. Unfortunately little priority is given to up speed as all talk is always about down speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mikem55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

ok, I'll just sit it out and wait to see if it improves . I'm just curios like many others as to why the HH4 reboots itself after four or five days of what seems to be a good stable connection
I assume that the downstream noise margin has been reduced to 3 dB from 6dB as the line was viewed as stable
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

The hub should not reset every 4/5 days and as long as this happens you will not get a stable connection in order for up speed to improve. 

Does the noise margin keep reducing until until it Resets?

0 Ratings
mikem55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

this is the info from the HH4 when it resets itself

PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)

And below are the three previous sync reports
14:33:46, 08 Feb. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=16846Kbps, Up Rate=967Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.1dB, Up=6.4dB

20:32:24, 13 Feb. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=16004Kbps, Up Rate=819Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.1dB, Up=6.5dB

0:55:27, 13 Feb. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=15729Kbps, Up Rate=787Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.1dB, Up=6.1dB

Today
Data Rate 787 / 15729
Maximum Data Rate: 880 / 17116
Noise Margin: 13.9 / 5.4
Line Attenuation: 10.2 / 18.0
Signal Attenuation: 10.1 / 24.0
0 Ratings
mikem55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

To answer your specific question
by cycling the HH4 "Help Desk " stats I have seen the downstream noise margin reduce to 1.x dB and then climb back to 3.x dB over a few minutes but the HH4 did not reset itself , you can see that the downstream noise was 5.4dB just a while back
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Your down margin is around about 6db which is normal but your up margin has a wide fluctuation but speed about same

0 Ratings
mikem55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Why would the up margin fluctuate ? Any thoughts?
0 Ratings