Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Darkord
Message 1 of 3

Abysmal internet speed.

Go to solution

I'm writing this question on behalf of my mother (Whom is not tech savy). I'm a foundation radio licensee and a competent computer scientist.  We had our telephone line installed in the early 2000s and our internet in 2012. The copper cable is directly laid about 18 inches under the ground (I'll come back to why this is relevant later). My latest speed test gives us: 3.68Mbps Download and 0.08Mbps Upload. We're using ADSL v1.0. We're 950ft + away from the road (Which has the fibre infrastructure set up). We are a small farm and rely on our track to allow customers in and out.

A few months ago, we had a BT engineer come out and give us a quote for setting us up for FTTP. As you probably know, BT uses private contractors and the engineer said that no contractor would want this. It would involve ripping up our track, removing the copper and putting in the fibre cable which would be very costly (in the thousands). You're probably thinking, well just remove the cable from the ducting and put in fibre cables; although as I've already mentioned the cable (in its jacket) is laid directly in the ground. The business owner (My father) does not like this idea as this would have a detrimental effect on our livelihood as there are lots of trees near the track that trucks and machinery would find impossible to avoid, raising our costs further. As I said before, I'm a radio licensee and I believe ADSL has a ferrite ring in the little output box and as our cable is 18 inches underground removing this wouldn't really effect us in terms of interference.

So, any suggestions with reguards to improving the speed?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Abysmal internet speed.

Go to solution

from your post this would appear to be a business connection to the farm not residential and if so you need to post here  https://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Abysmal internet speed.

Go to solution

Why would you need to rip up your track, presumably there is a verge or your field adjacent where the cable could be buried. If it is your land, you could provide the duct yourself.

0 Ratings