Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harry_Owen
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Abysmal wifi speeds

Good evening,

We have had an engineer round this afternoon and once they were finished they tested the line and it read 16mb/s

Sadly the Smart hub that we have only seems to be outputting 1.5mb/s. This has been the broadband speed we have been getting for years and has not improved despite the works undertaken.

This speed is consistent regardless of wired or WiFi connection  and just isn't enough for any form of modern entertainment.

We cannot use the speedtester on the website as the connection doesn't seem to be capable.

If anyone knows what I can do to remedy this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Abysmal wifi speeds

try speedtest.net and post results

post hub stats advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Harry_Owen
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

TEST_DATETIME_ZONEDOWNLOAD_MEGABITSUPLOAD_MEGABITSLATENCY_MSSERVER_NAMEDISTANCE_MILESCONNECTION_MODE
07/04/2019 16:57GMT11.930.3119Cardiff100multi
07/04/2019 17:07GMT11.950.3417Bristol100multi

Product code:Smart Hub 2
Serial number:+091301+1841005140
Firmware version:v0.13.03.02221-BT
Firmware updated:Tue Jun 25 15:20:17 2019
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.55 12_12_2018
DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours09 Mins05 Secs
Data rate:443 Kbps / 16.407 Mbps
Maximum data rate:1.252 Mbps / 16.604 Mbps
Noise margin:31.3 / 6.1
Line attenuation:13.1 / 27.0
Signal attenuation:13.4 / 34.6
VPI/VCI:0/38
Modulation:G.992.5(ADSL2+)
Latency type:Fast
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:8.0 MB Uploaded  / 330.0 MB Downloaded
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-72A6KQ
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel6)
5 GHz wireless network name:BT-72A6KQ
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)
Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On
MAC address:44:FE:3B:12:D3:4C
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

It says 11mbps but we don't seem to see that on our end.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Are you sure you are comparing like with like. Some speeds are shown in bits and others in bytes bearing in mind there are 8 bits in a byte. So 1.5 megabytes is same as 11/12 megabits

your up speed is very low compared to attainable and I have asked mods to see if they can help but I think your download speed is ok.  Mods will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
NeilO
Message 5 of 10

Hi @Harry_Owen welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're not happy with your broadband speeds. The stats you've posted show your Hub is syncing at 16.407 Mbps so that would tally with the speeds the engineer got when they tested the line however I do agree with @imjolly there does appear to be scope for improvement on your upload speed and we'll be happy to take a look at that for you. 

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

0 Ratings
Harry_Owen
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Surely the significant factor in this is not the '16.407 Mbps' but the data rate which is only '1.252 Mbps' which is low, very low

As far as upload speeds go, yes it actually fails to keep up on most high intensity activities so I am sure there is wide scope for improvement there.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 10

@Harry_Owen That's the upload speed not the download and is normal for a ADSL2+ connection.

1.252Mbps is the upload speed and 16.604Mbps is the download speed.

0 Ratings
Harry_Owen
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Then that just makes things more confusing, if its 16.604mbps why are we only able to get 1.2-1.5mbps download, and when that is active you cant even load google on another device.

For example, I go to download on the steam games store for a game I can only get 1.5mbps and no one else in the house can use the internet.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 10

@Harry_Owen I've came across this before, Steam shows the download rate in Megabytes and 1.5 Megabytes is 12 Megabits which is using most of your available connection speed and will result in other users having a reduced speed.

As @imjolly has said you're getting Magabytes and Megabits mixed up. If you checkout the Steam community you'll see this is a topic that discussed quite often. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

This may help

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434076

0 Ratings