Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 71

Actual Speed versus Contract Speed

Go to solution

I have a standard BT Broadband package up to 17mb which I have had for 2 months. When I placed my order I was quoted up to 8mbps but now find that in reality I am only getting between 2.5 and 3.5. I've spent time with the tech guys who tell me that anything over 2mbps is acceptable so therefore they are keeping their side of the contract. 
Can anyone give me any advise whether I can get out of my contract without huge penalties please? 
Thanks

0 Ratings
70 REPLIES 70
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 71

Re: Actual Speed versus Contract Speed

Go to solution

can you post stats from your hub 

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

are you using the test socket with a new filter to eliminate any problems caused by internal wiring and see if that helps speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 71

Go to solution

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

What speeds dit BT quote you?

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 71

Go to solution

@imjolly Forgive my lack of techincal knowledge - Im pretty computer savvy but not the electrics - sorry. 
I've got the results but can't see how to attach the screen shot and don't understand enough to interpret them - again sorry

I can't see I've got a test socket but line is plugged into wall plate. Test has been performed through ethernet not wi fi

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 71

Go to solution

this should help  https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

does your socket look like ths  nte5 test.jpg  arrow shows test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
Message 6 of 71

Go to solution

on Exchange BIDEFORD is served by Cabinet 26
Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateWBC FTTC 18x2 Provide AvailabilityWBC FTTC 18x2 Sim AvailabilityLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date     Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date       Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)8071.7201964.6Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8066.8201955Available----Yes--
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4.5--2.5 to 10Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4.5Up to 12.5 to 10Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 4.5--3.5 to 5.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available--------
Fixed Rate2----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
Bridge TapU       
VRIN       
NTEFaceplateN       
Last Test Date10-01-2017
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 71

Go to solution

you did see that fibre FTTC connection of 80/71mb was available to you when you started your current adsl/copper connection

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 71

Go to solution

OK I'll try using test socket & ethernet and get back in 5

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 71

Go to solution

Yes I did see that but.................. a) I was part way through a 12 month contract when I moved so really had to stay with BT and b) 17mb has always been fine for me in the past so didn't see the need to upgrade to the dearer package. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 71

Go to solution

New test using test socket, filter and ethernet
 Exchange BIDEFORD is served by Cabinet 26

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateWBC FTTC 18x2 Provide AvailabilityWBC FTTC 18x2 Sim AvailabilityLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date     Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date       Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)8071.7201964.6Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8066.8201955Available----Yes--
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4.5--2.5 to 10Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4.5Up to 12.5 to 10Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 4.5--3.5 to 5.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available--------
Fixed Rate2----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
Bridge TapU       
VRIN       
NTEFaceplateN