Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WigglesGRN
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Additional Help Requested

Hi all, 

After finding out that my HH4 was the cause of my lag/dropouts/high pings, I have been on a stable connection for the past 2 weeks now with no drop outs at all after replacing the Homehub 4 for a Netgear DM200 Modem and using my old TP-Link Archer C8 Router.

However I have noticed that my max line speed has dropped from the 17M-19M we were getting down to 12M-14M that we get currently. Checking on the ADSL checker I have noticed that the range has gone down to 10.5- - 14.5 so im getting what the checker says I can get.

adsl.jpg

On the Wholesale checker it says the max is up to 21 and my IP profile is 15.2M

wholesale.jpg

I have noticed that the DM200 stays connected for about a day maybe 30 hours and then it reconncts. My HH4 did a simalar thing resetting the ADSL connection every 3-5 days but sometimes every evening or even multiple times a day.

Here is the stats page from the DM200, DM200.jpg

Would it be advisable to put the HH4 back on for a few days to see if the speeds go up back to the 17M area or leave them where they are for now?

TIA

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Additional Help Requested

I would leave things as they are, as you are within the expected connection range. These figures are sometimes revised, as an increase in crosstalk from other cable pairs, affects the overall expected performance.

Disconnections in the evening are usually caused by interference on the line. You may be able to hear this on phone calls, but often its out of audio range, and can be caused by things like plasma TVs.

It always a good idea to check your own internal phone wiring, making sure that the home hub is connected to your master socket, with a filtered faceplate fitted, so any extension wiring cannot pick up interference.

0 Ratings
WigglesGRN
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply. The only socket we have is the master socket with the NTE 5A faceplate AFAIK, I know the landlord had all the wireing replaced before we moved in as its a new line coming in from outside straight in to the house. We are connected in to it via the filter that came with the Home Hub 4 but the Netgear did have a few others, I did not replace them as they were working fine.

The strange thing about the disconnections is that it just takes a few seconds and the modem resyncs it self and there is no issue after that. All of our power extensions are surger protected, that sould not cause any issues right?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

It could be anything causing the disconnection. Keep a log of when the disconnections start, the interval between them, and when they stop.

See if it ties up with anything in use in the house at that time.

If its a regular interval, then listen to the phone line just before the disconnection occurs, and see if you hear any clicks or bursts of noise when they happen.

Also keep a check on the downstream noise margin, and see if it reduces during the evening, as that is a good indication of any possible interference.

Your example indicated a downstream noise margin of 5.7dB at the time you measured it, which is about right.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

looking at router stats you currently have a 17mb conenction speed with noise margin about normal 6db so looks good and better than dsl checker estimate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
WigglesGRN
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the input guys, I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

0 Ratings
WigglesGRN
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

So it seems every 24 hours its rebooting on the nose, it did so about an hour an a half ago, still got the same stats as before so not sure what is causing it, was just browsing the internet when it happened and i was the only one home at the time. I have noticed when it switches i go from a 86. IP address to a 101. and then again on the next reset it switches back.  

The plot thickens. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

sounds like something in your home which either switches on or off causing electrical interference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
WigglesGRN
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Not sure, All the outlets we use have sure protectors on them, will have to check when it dropps again 

0 Ratings