Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kabadisha
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Alternative Modem/Router using DD-WRT

Go to solution

Hey,

Just wondering if I am going to have trouble getting an alternative modem/router router to play nice with the BT connection?

I have a WRT610n running DD-WRT and a separate simple ADSL2+ modem (ST510 v6) which I have running in bridged mode to avoid double NAT.

I figure I should be able to use that setup and just copy the settings I find on the home hub provided and plug them into my router. My only concern is that I think BT use PPPOA not PPPOE (as with my previous provider be) and DD-WRT does not support PPPOA.

The BT engineer is coming today to install the line so I'll give it a whirl but just wanted to ask if you hit any issues?

Sadly I have to work today and so my less tech-savy housemate will be letting the engineer in so I won't be able to ask him any questions about it.

Cheers,

Charlie

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
raymie67
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Alternative Modem/Router using DD-WRT

Go to solution

PPPoA is correct for BT lines but I though that DD-WRT did support that?. certainly flashed firmware has been used by many, often with netgear routers to no ill effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, your right in thinking that BT use PPOA which is for ADSL, however you have configured the Speedtouch to run in bridged mode...modem only and I would assume it would do the PPOA/PPOE on the fly so to speak, so by connecting your router it should work. Username should be bthomehub@btinternet.com, the password should be blank, but if it complains (the router that is) just press the spacebar once.

This should all work in theory....but you've got nothing to lose trying it in practise.

0 Ratings
kabadisha
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hey, I thought I should follow up in case anyone else stumbles accross it whilst Googling.

Ok, after hours and hours I got it working!!! Wooo!

Basically I had to set up the st510 v6 modem into half bridging mode. From what I understand of it, this involves getting the modem to handle the PPPoA connection, then enabling PPTP on it for the router to be able to connect to it and supply the credentials.

To configure the modem:

1. Use the standard wizard in the web interface and choose any configuration you like (I picked a PPPoA template) but make sure that you choose a VPI/VCI that is NOT 0.38. Complete the wizard and let the thing settle.
  2. Use the web interface to configure the modem how you like. Things you probably want to do include:
    • Disabling the firewall (the DD-WRT router has a better one)
    • Setting the password to something decent
    • Turning off DHCP (again we'll let DD-WRT handle that)
    • Simplifying the network interfaces. My modem defaults to have an IP of 10.0.0.138 which is fine, but it also creates a vlan in the 192.168.1.x range. I removed this. N.B this is why you have to assign your local IP statically for this part.
  3. Restart the modem just to help it settle.
  4. Telnet into the modem (Google it if you're not sure what telnet is)
  5. Issue the following commands:
    (You can ignore any messages about things being in use and unable to be deleted)
    • ppp relay flush
    • eth flush
    • atm flush
    • ppp flush
    • atm phonebook flush
    • saveall
    • atm phonebook add name=BrPPPoA_ph addr=0.38
    • service system modify name=PPTP state=enabled
    • saveall
    • exit
  6. Use the modem's web interface to restart the modem.
  7. Hook the modem up to the wan port of the DD-WRT modem and log into DD-WRT.
  8. In the wan settings of DD-WRT use settings like mine:settings.png

These settings worked a treat for me. If anyone reading this needs any advice please send me a private message. Hopefully the forum will notify me by email and I can respond.

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Hi I would advise you to remove your email address as this is a public forum and you are leaving you self open to spammers
0 Ratings
kabadisha
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
@john46
Yeah I used an address that would go to my catch-all spam account which I check periodically so it wouldn't have been a problem. Either way I have just realised that you can send private messages in this forum so I have edited my post accordingly.

Cheers,
Charlie
0 Ratings
kabadisha
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Just an update. I have created a full guide based on this process which can be found here: http://charleswilkinson.co.uk/2013/01/02/dd-wrt-and-ppoa-using-a-st510-v6/

0 Ratings