Before I re booted it yeterday to see if it improved matters, the hub said it had been connected at that speed for fifteen days, I am just kicking myself that I did not get on here with that set of stats. I do log into it regularly so can see that it is not constantly dropping the line and re connecting. Anyway I will do the noise test and post with the result of that.
Thank you for your assistance and advice.
I have got hold of a corded phone and done quiet line test, there are no random crackles buzzes hisses etc, but there is a continuous barely discernible hum?
Until I shut it down to do the test the hub had remained connected at 1.151.
With a corded phone the quiet line test should be completely silent but with a long line a bit of hum might be induced into the line or it could be an Earth contact fault which the line test should pick up if you report the fault.
Report it as a noisy line fault rather than a broadband fault.
ok thank you, I will report it as noisy and in the meantime leave the hub up all the time and see if things improve, and if it stays connected for say 10 days and still stays banded I will post again.
an update on this, having waited a couple of weeks for a fault that was identified to be rectified, just had an e mail to say it's all sorted but nothing has changed with my broadband still resolutely connecting at 1.151 and giving me a real world throughput of around 0.5
If fault is fixed is your connection stability improved
can you post up to date hub stats
I only had the email about half an hour ago so it's too early to tell really, I will see how it goes over next few days and post some stats but it wasn't really dropping the connection much before, and I have no idea what the fault was or what's been done to rectify it I will keep you posted on any develoments
This is where we are at the moment, I re booted the hub
|1. Product name:||BT Home Hub|
|2. Serial number:||+068543+NQ61525827|
|3. Firmware version:||Software version 18.104.22.168.83.8.264 (Type A) Last updated 10/01/20|
|4. Board version:||BT Hub 5A|
|5. DSL uptime:||0 days, 00:37:51|
|6. Data rate:||1065 / 1151|
|7. Maximum data rate:||1069 / 3680|
|8. Noise margin:||6.4 / 7.9|
|9. Line attenuation:||27.5 / 51.0|
|10. Signal attenuation:||27.1 / 47.8|
|11. Data sent/received:||4.0 MB / 32.6 MB|
|12. Broadband username:||email@example.com|
|13. BT Wi-fi:||Yes|
|14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:||BTHub5-T638|
|15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:||Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))|
|16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:||WPA2|
|17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:||Automatic (Smart Wireless)|
|18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:||BTHub5-T638|
|19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:||Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))|
|20. 5 GHz Wireless security:||WPA2|
|21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:||Automatic (Smart Wireless)|
|23. MAC Address:||90:72:82:a3:43:94|
|24. VPI/VCI:||0 / 38|
|25. Modulation:||G.992.5 Annex A|
|26. Latency type:||Interleaved|
|27. Software variant:||AA|
|28. Boot loader:||1.0.0|
Further update, after forty minutes on the phone this morning it turns out that the fault has not been fixed, the fault is still there, an engineer comes tomorrow.
Further update, had openreach engineer here for six hours last thursday, he located three physical faults on the line to our property, two of which he fixed but couldn't do the third as couldn't get a hoist, he did a quick reset at end of the day which connected at over 5mbps However .... as they hadn't fixed the fault in 24 hours and would be fined anyway they wouldn't be back to finish the job until some unspecified date in the future. Not seen them since, and as he predicted our speeds have been dropping for the last week so we are now back where we started. Checking on the track my fault system it says could I please let them know if it is fixed now, because evidently BT don't have a clue whether it has been or not, cue endless waiting on the phone until patience runs out.
Outstanding customer service from BT and Openreach, bravo, pease don't take that as a compliment!