cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfi1982
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

At Wit's End

Hi all, i am really at my wits end with an ongoing issue now from Nov 2015. 

Shortly after work started in our village to put in Fibre, my broadband connection became unstable, it's done this now since November, some evenings it can spend the entire night blinking orange, occasionally connecting for seconds before dropping out again, each time with ever decreasing speed. 

I've had 5 engineer visits. The last of which was a month ago, and he put me on a new line from Exchange to the manhole in our cul de sac, and from their to my wall on the spare pair. New sockets, new filters, I'm on my 4th BT Home Hub 4, I've tried countless other modems they all behave in the same manner. 

Im on a EO line and normally when good get 24mb, I'm currently typing this via 0.89mb.

After speaking with support via live chat monday, as Id been stuck at 3mb for 4 days or so, they agreed to reset my ipprofile and noise margin and to wait 3 days. well thats passed now, and I spoke to them again 1 hr and 35 minutes ago, they said they'd need to ring me as 2nd line support were dealing with this. I have been on hold since. 

My noise margin is currently 28.2upstream and 29.5downstream, the last engineer changed the fast path / interleaved setting remotely but I cannot remember which way round he did so. I am not that far from the exchange, it's just across the way behind the care home. (Can *just* about see it) the rest of the village is on Fibre, but being on EO they haven't put in our cabinet yet. 

I dont know what to do next. I dont know how to go forward with this. I just feel I am going round and round in circles, my phones been blocked now by this call for 1hr 40 minutes, i dunno whether to give up and hand up or not? is there anyone in 2nd line support past 6? just keep being told their very busy, what the douce? is there just one guy in there? seriously? 

The bt home page is about the only thing that loads, netflix and amazon video time out, my xbox well that just laughs at us, I dont get 3G/4G so mobiles out the question. 

Has anyone had a similar experience? or can suggest a way forward. I know I need a NM Reset & IPProfile reset, but getting one done seems an impossible task. An engineer has been booked for the 29th but thats almost 7 days away. I'm having to visit family and friends to use their internet, and im paying 20£ a month for the pleasure.. 

HELP!!!

DSL noise margin: 28.20 dB upstream, 29.50 dB downstream

DSL line rate: 446 Kbps upstream, 898 Kbps downstream 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: At Wit's End

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call

it looks like all the disconnections have placed you in a banded profile this link explains more http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/speed_drop.html
0 Ratings
Wolfi1982
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

ok.. so just done another quiet line, I did one monday and it was silent, today it sounds like a hurricane is rustling leaves about, im on a cordless phone so just incase did it again and it's the same. Now i have a fault recorded with bt already via my faults online do I go ahead and raise another ?? I really am so frustrated by this now. Everytime I call I have to insist and insist there's a problem like they think i'm just making it up. I shouldn't have to get heated to tell them something the "sophisticated" systems they sit infront of miss. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If you have that much noise then as john46 said phone 151 and report a phone fault 

Cordless normal is a dull hum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Wolfi1982
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

just reported it, and had call from chap I spoke to earlier via live chat he's noted that 17070 is throwing up noise, and it's being dealt with by complaints manager or something as well as 2nd line support. 

I feel a bit lost as I dont know what the hell is happening other than I can't do anything but sit on my lorals and wait wait wait now with **bleep** no ridiculously **bleep** broadband. 

They tried an SNR reset monday so he tells me, didn't work clearly lol or if it did the line noise is that bad it's straight back to 30. 

sigh 

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

there is no point in a noise margin reset until the line noise is resolved as as you have found you will end up back in a banded profile again very quickly once the line noise is resolved only then will your broadband start to improve
0 Ratings
Wolfi1982
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Alas, makes perfect sense John. I'm just clutching straws as I lean slightly further out the living room window to maintain the connection to neighbours FON hotspot. 2 dead carrier pigeons be quicker than using my own.

Why if I can hear noise does their systems report no fault. I've had practically a new line, I was swapped to spare pair and they picked up a spare unused line at manhole which he swapped at exchange. It was great for 48hrs. Thought we'd cracked it then bam it spend 9 hours d/c all evening then finally synced at 4. That was back in Feb and it's been between 4 and 9 since. I'm pretty sure too all my line is underground so wind / weather shouldn't be a factor.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Unfortunately the standard remote tests do not always pick up faults as you have found the quiet line test is the best check it sounds more like an intermittent fault which may take some time to resolve
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Wolfi1982,

Thanks for posting. I can appreciate how frustrating this is for you but your best bet would be to stick with the faults team. @john46 and @imjolly are right. Once the line isue is sorted the Infinity side of things should resolve itself. Post back if you get stuck and we'll be happy to lend a hand.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Wolfi1982
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Ok. Update.

Been trying to get infinity now since February this year. Seems Bt engineer fixed my fault above by rerouting my line into a different piece of kit in exchange but never told anyone what he had done. Bt have been trying now since March to upgrade me to infinity. Time after time failing. I've had engineers turn up and can't get into cabinet as they don't have keys. They turn up to find the groundwork hasn't been done. I've have two members of the case management team contact me and now they've gone quiet too. I was due to go live again on the 9th sept but alas still not connected to infinity. I've can't get hold of anyone high enough up to speak sense just the usual have you tried a different filter or rebooted the hub. One guy told me to change the wifi channel to see if that resolved the issue. I am PIG sick of it. Frustrated isn't the word to the point I have opened a case with otello or whomevwr they are.

No one seems to know what's going on. I keep saying if ur gonna ring me ring me after 4 but they always ring at 10 am and I can't use phone at work. I have a collection of hubs from failed attempts everytime I order it I get another.

Who can I speak to? I can't type my frustration I need to speak to a human being someone with the power and knowledge to Finally get this resolved and then I can start talking compensation for the time off work I've had. The missed appointments and having friends and family drive over to be in for engineers to Come and scratch their heads. Come Feb 2017 it'll be 12 months since I placed my first order. I'm currently at attempt number 11. It's a complete farce.
0 Ratings