Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fzr400rrsp
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

At wit's end, slow broadband and rubbish router

Go to solution

Looking for help/suggestions, as we're really at our wit's end and feel trapped by BT.

If we're lucky, we get around 3MB speed, often less.

We also have to reset our homehub-3 three to four times per day.

At the point we reset the router we occasionally get speeds jumping up to around 5MB, we all whoop with delight and then sigh when it evetually settles back down to 3MB or less.

There does seem to be a time-related issue to the router going down as well, as just after 2100 seems common.

I'm aware a lot of our problems and our inability to change providers is down to the cabinet we're connected to.

Unfortunately, digital Scotland say our cabinet is unlikely to be updated for a year at least.

I'm paying over £40 a month for slow speeds, a router that needs reset all the time and I can't change to another provider....

Does it get much worse in BB terms???

As I said, I'm aware the lack of speed may be outwith BT's control, but surely a new router wouldn't kill them...?

Yety I get nowhere when I ask.

Sure, I can buy a more modern one....on top of the £40 a month I already pay....

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: At wit's end, slow broadband and rubbish router

Go to solution

Hi,

A new modem/router can be had for around £30 - 35, the TP-Link TD-W9970, depending where you buy it.  Do a search for it.

If you want one with all the fancy bells and whistles then be prepared to spend a fair bit more.  Asus, Billion and others.

I used a Billion back when I had ADSL,  the ISP supplied kit synced at around 4Mbps, sometimes a little more often less.  The Billion added a bit to that, averaging around 5.2Mbps on quite a long line.  No guarantees you would see a vast improvement but the dropouts etc would no longer happen with a third party router.

0 Ratings
fzr400rrsp
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Yeah, I'm aware I can go out and buy a new router.

But, if you''ll excuse the pun, I feel I'm letting BT 'off the hook' by doing that.

They'll merrily continue taking £40 a month, having done precisely nothing to assist.

Something I should have mentioned before is that every time I use BT's speed checker, it automatically logs/reports our slow speed as a fault.

Then I see 'fixed' in the repair log a few days later.
I've literally dozens of these log/repair/fixed logs over the past year.

I'm really beginning to wonder if I could get an unlimited 4G plan that would suit out house for £40 a month....

Then I could just tell BT to go away.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
You won't get unlimited 4G anywhere, let along for £40 a month.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
fzr400rrsp
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Ok, that's another option shattered....Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
fzr400rrsp
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

That's me been 15 minutes on live chat with someone called 'Sprinkle' (yes really)

I'm going to have to hang up on them.
So, yet again, my issues don't get fixed until I find the time to try again.

A cynic could be forgiven in thinking these tactics are designed to make people so exasperated they just go away.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Obviously it's your choice to try to sort things with the help line.  Personally I never bothered calling them, back in 2007 when the first hub was misbehaving I checked the line for noise.  It was clean, so I went out and bought my own router and that solved all the problems.  Used my own kit ever since and never had any issues.

0 Ratings
fzr400rrsp
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

I give up, I really do.

I flat refuse to go and spend any of my own money on a new router, when I'm already paying BT £40 a month for a completely rubbish service.

I tell you something though, and I hope BT CS people read these messages.

The second I hear the cabinet that feeds our street has been upgraded to the point I can switch providers, I will be.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
Not sure what you mean about the cabinet being upgraded to switch providers?

The cabinet you're fed by can be used by any of the ISP's that offer services from your exchange. It doesn't need upgraded to allow other ISP's. However, the cable serving your property will remain the same.

Personally, I've not used the ISP supplied equipment for over a decade. Had one fault which was a break in the cable and another faulty port in the exchange.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
fzr400rrsp
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I've twice gone down the route of trying to change provider.

And twice I've got as far as getting the new routers all plugged in, only for it to fail on switchover day and all I get is "you're stuck with BT for technical reasons"

That's it, I never get any more explanation.

I did get a confused guy at BT CS a few weeks back saying my account was down as being a funny status, something like 'copper' or 'bronze' was in the name, I forget.

He said it was some experimental thing a few years back.

They promised they'd get this looked into by the appropriate department and get back to me.

Guess what.....?

0 Ratings