Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dillo54
Contributor
Message 1 of 65

BB connection dropping 20 -30 times a day

Go to solution

Hi, hope someone can tell me if I have a faulty Home Hub 3, or is it is an outside problem.

I have had connection problems before, but they have seemingly resolved themselves. Last November it was bad, and I eventually emailed BT with a complaint. They came back with all the usual tests to do, which I had already done. Without doing anything myself, the problem went away. I had also bought a Home Hub 3, and installed that, but the connection issue had been resolved by then. Now I am having the same problem, - it started in June, - the first Sunday of the month, when the conenction went down about 20 times whilst I was on Skype ( a regular Sunday date, so nothing unusual). No problems then until July sometime, when connection was very iffy for a day or so, then no problems until the first Sunday of August, last Sunday, when it went off umpteen times again, for a couple of minutes each time. 

BT are at present installing Infinity in the area, so I had thought it might have something to do with that, but the problems have persisted all this last week, - every day it has gone down 20 -30 times, for a minute or so, then come back.

I have now ordered Infinity and the engineer is coming on the 21st. But today the connection has gone down about 15 times already, and I'm not sure I can stand another 11 days of this.

I have done the Quiet Line test, - no noise. I have plugged the HomeHub into the test socket (with an ADSL filter), with no phone connected, and the connection still drops. The Broadband light on the hub goes off, then flashes orange, pink, and then back to blue. The hub is in the bedroom, and I have seen it flashing whilst I'm lying in bed, at 2 in the morning!

It has just gone off as I'm typing this, - ADSL info:

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:02:12
Downstream:7.438 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.9 dB / 28.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):18.6 dB / 10.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.0 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):464 / 76

If anyone could tell me whether I should ditch the Home Hub and install my old Netgear DG834GT, then I will try that. If it doesn't solve the problem, then what do I do? 

I should add that I am deaf (husband did the quiet line test!), so rely on the internet for communicating, - and I would not be able to hear anyone on the phone, - BT advisors etc, - been there, done that, and it was VERY frustrating!! Husband is a total technophobe, so no good either.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed. Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
64 REPLIES 64
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 65

Re: BB connection dropping 20 -30 times a day

Go to solution

Yes, you should definitely try your old Netgear router.  I presume you have used it before with BT as your ISP; otherwise you would need to change the settings first.

If that fails you should report it as a fault.  I use Plusnet for my broadband and with them you could do the whole process by online messaging; I'm not sure if BT Broadband can cope with this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 65

Go to solution

are you connected to test socket via a filter just now?  if not can you conenct to test socket and repost new stats please

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 65

Go to solution
what was the result of the quiet line test ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 65

Go to solution

quiet line - no noise post said

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dillo54
Contributor
Message 6 of 65

Go to solution
I am not on test socket at the mo, but will do this later on. Thx.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 65

Go to solution

just post stats when you change  by conencting to test socket you eliminate any problems caused by your internal wiring

0 Ratings
dillo54
Contributor
Message 8 of 65

Go to solution
Unfortunately I was with Orange/Wanadoo with the Netgear, - so I'm a bit worried about having to change the settings, - hope it's straightforward. Thx.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 65

Go to solution

changes are simple but I would conenct HH3 first and see how that does in test socket  if problems then you can switch to netgear - I use netgear so not a problem

0 Ratings
dillo54
Contributor
Message 10 of 65

Go to solution
ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:02:57
Downstream:7.438 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.1 dB / 28.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):18.2 dB / 10.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6 / 1

Hide details

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A) | Time and date 16:57 10/08/13The speed coming into your houseThe speed you get at your computerConnection speed 7.62MbGood 
  • Download speed 6.05Mb
  • Upload speed 0.35Mb
  • Good 

this is a bit strange because yesterday the stats were Download 4.77MB, Upload 0.35Mb

0 Ratings