cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesP2
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BB connection dropping multiple time per day - c.1980 connection block?

Hello - where my phone line enters my house upstairs I have an old connection block (BT 52A i think). From there internal telephone wires run to various extensions around the house including I presume a'Master' socket downstairs which looks like an NTE5. Even though I plug the router into its test socket my router drops connection 5-10 times per day and I notice more so when i use the telephone (yes I use a microfilter). I also get crackling on the telephone line. My question is should I seek for BT to replace the 52A with a modern master socket from which I can run extensions (whereas i think currently extensions are being run from the 52A rather than from the master downstairs) and should BT do that at their cost?

thanks! Jimmy.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BB connection dropping multiple time per day - c.1980 connection block?

@JamesP2

Any changes to master socket to improve broadband would be chargeable.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

You've got Star Wiring present. That'll kill your broadband... You need to get BT to send a Broadband Boost Engineer to improve your Home Wiring.
0 Ratings
JamesP2
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

How about I disconnect all outgoing wires from the 52A connection box, move the downstairs master upstairs so it runs directly off the 52A and then run extensions from the master? That would be he normal set-up, right?

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

You'd still technically have Star Wiring, albeit from the NTE.
0 Ratings
JamesP2
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Isn't running exensions form the Master socket the 'right' way of wiring though - i.e.: that would not be classed as star wiring, right?

Or put another way, what defines it as star wiring - i'd assumed it was telephone extensions running off the drop cable and not from the Master e.g.: the Master is just another extension.

0 Ratings
JamesP2
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Once the drop cable enters my house I believe BT remain responsible for the wiring up to and including their Master? If so, and the wiring between the drop cable / 52A connection box and the Master socket is faulty (I have no idea how the wire gets from the connection box in upsatirs bedroom to downstairs hallway Master) OR indeed the Master is faulty itself, they'd need to fix (i'm not allowed to touch it) and therefore they wouldn't charge me?

I ask because given I've disconnected everything from the 52a connection box except the wire which runs to their Master socket (assumiption as all other house extensions are dead) - I can only assume it's either the Master socket itself or wiring from the drop wire to the Master which is faulty.

Anyone disagree?!

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

If you have Star Wiring you have no Master Socket. Even if one the the sockets is say an Openreach branded NTE it's still not classed as a Master Socket.

And yes wiring all the Extensions from an NTE isn't technically Star Wiring but it's still the same as being Star Wired as in all the extensions split off from a single point as opposed to running in parallel which is the most ideal way of having extensions when it comes to broadband.
0 Ratings
JamesP2
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Thanks. So given i've disconnected everything except the downstairs master and the BT homehub drops 10x + per day, im going to have to move the Master NTE from the downstairs hallway, to where the drop wire comes into the property upstairs, and connect the drop wire direct into the Master and connect the router from there. If the internet keeps dropping then the Master socket is knackered or the problem is external to the property.

0 Ratings
JamesP2
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Keith....I suppose fixing a connection so it doesn't drop 10x per day isn't classed as 'improving' broadband, is it?

0 Ratings