Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BROADBAND VERY SLOW, VIDEOS KEEP BUFFERING

Go to solution

I signed up to BT Broadband when I moved house around a year ago.  I had TalkTalk Fibre Broadband in my last house, but I am now in the sticks in Cornwall and there is no fibre here yet.  Having said that I have been very pleased with the service until 2-3 weeks ago.  I watched a lot of the first week of the US Open tennis on Amazon Prime Video, but had to give up in the second week as the video streams were buffering for England!  It was impossible to watch.  I did a Broadband Speed Test with Think Broadband and the results were upload speed 0.3 mbps and download 0.6 mbps.  I took a screenshot of this and will include it here if I'm able.

I contacted BT via online chat on 8/09/2019 and was told there was a fault on my line which would be fixed in 2-3 days.  I was given a fault reference.  Last night I tried to get onto the live chat to see what was happening with this but live chat was nowhere to be seen!  I went into the section where you can track the fault.  My reference was shown and I asked for tests including a speed test, but it was unable to do the speed test.  I am no further forward with my problem.  I will have to phone them.  Does anybody know what's happened to the chat?

BROADBAND SPEED TEST 070919.PNGBroadband Speed Test

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BROADBAND VERY SLOW, VIDEOS KEEP BUFFERING

Go to solution

does your landline phone work?  if so dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

which hub version are you using?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I don't have a corded phone, but my landline works fine.  i dialled 17070 and Option 2 was very silent.

I have BT Hub4 Z237

Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I've just logged onto BT WiFi with FON 3 as it's much quicker than my home Broadband at the minute.  I hope my home Broadband gets fixed soon though!

Is it worth trying a different router than the BT Hub 4?  I have a spare one that I used for TalkTalk at my previous address, but don't know if it's worth the trouble or not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

TT router won't work on BT

can you go to logs in hub manager and you are looking for 2 lines together showing connection speed and noise margin  the time will be when your hub last reset so that should help you find the 2 lines

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

this will show what is available for your connection and also expected speed range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

imjolly, I hope this is what you want.  I am a blonde senior lady and whilst I can do quite a bit on my computer, I'm not the best by a long way!  Thanks for all your help!

BBAND SPEED FROM SETTINGS.PNG

BBAND CHECKER 1.PNG

BBAND CHECKER 2.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

You have a great adsl connection so must be really close to exchange

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results. Must be done with wired connection. Do not reset connection before test

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

imjolly, it's me again.  Yesterday I loaded Amazon Prime Video and it was still buffering a lot which made it impossible to watch.

I went into my shed to find an ethernet cable, shut all programmes down and disabled AVG anti virus.  I connected to the router and did the tests.  Here are the screenshots :-

BT SPEED TEST 230919.PNG

BT DIAGNOSTIC TEST 230919.PNG

I have just loaded Amazon Prime Video again today and it seems fine!  Might it have corrected itself, or will BT have done something to my line do you think?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Are you still using the router with ethernet instead of wifi?

Is it possible you have a backup running which is using up your upload speed which will have a knock on effect to your download

Wifi can always be a problem due to many causes of interference 

judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

imjolly, yes, you are right I was watching Amazon Prime Video with the ethernet cable connected to the router.  I am now upstairs and have tried to watch Amazon Prime Video on a wireless laptop and it's buffering so much that you can't really watch it!

I appreciate what you say about wireless connections being a bit temperamental, but why has it been fabulous for almost a year and now decides to play up?  I have watched Amazon Prime Video on this wireless laptop upstairs before.  I admit that most of the time I have watched it downstairs on my TV that has an Amazon Firestick  plugged into it and works wirelessly , but it is very near the router.  Perhaps I should try watching it again on the TV downstairs and on the laptop downstairs that I used for the wired tests today.  I could try them both wirelessly  and see if it's better than what I'm getting upstairs.  It seems to be Amazon Prime Video that buffers more than say a youtube video.  Perhaps the signal is not strong enough upstairs.  What do you think?

0 Ratings