cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
converse420
Message 1 of 4

BT 2025 PSTN Switch Off

With the recent announcement that BT ar aiming to turn of the conventional PSTN (copper) phone service by 2025, I got to thinking about the potential upside to broadband speeds.

For those of us in small communities with no sign of Ultrafast Broadband on the horizon I wondered what the implication of no longer requiring a copper phone line really was.

For years we've lived with ADSL/VDSL microfilters and interstitial faceplates to filter the legacy voice frequency (that used by legacy phone/faxes/modems). As the modem/codec functionality moves to the BT router, it occurs to me that we will no longer need to filter out the bottom few K of the spectrum that has previously been reserved for legacy.

Assuming that this results in the full spectrum becoming available to Broadband, does anyone have a view on what kind of speed uplift that may result to those of us trapped on FTTC without g.fast, or if this has even been considered by BT/others?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
albertj
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT 2025 PSTN Switch Off

I think it’s 2027.

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
converse420
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply,  I've only seen 2025 in the news, but I'm more interested in the technical aspects of this as it seems to negate some long held ANFP burdens.

Regards

D

albertj
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

I've only seen 2027 and thought it was worth putting.

I realised this wasn't the response you were looking for, and I meant to put this but forgot.

The only thing I think I could contribute; is that I am hoping huge steps will be made in 4/5G by then, to provide broadband to rural communities. Including faster speeds, lower costs with unlimited usage.

Thanks

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings