cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mart00007
Message 1 of 10

BT 8500 Cordless phone's answering machine cuts my broadband off

Hi just looking for a bit of advice-ive just bought a BT 8500 Cordless twin phone with answering machine,set them both up and the both work fine incoming and out going calls sound great,-the problem ive got is with the answering machine , as soon as someone leaves a message and the answering machine turns off it disconnect my broadband-it never happend with my old phone..so at the momment i can use the phones but with the answering machine switched off..any one else had this problem...regards

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT 8500 Cordless phone's answering machine cuts my broadband off

Welcome to this user forum. @mart00007 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

0 Ratings
mart00007
Message 3 of 10

Hi the phones are my own what i bought and my broadband service and line connection are bt..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@mart00007 wrote:

Hi the phones are my own what i bought and my broadband service and line connection are bt..

Thanks.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Master socket with one socket

Or

Master socket with two sockets

0 Ratings
mart00007
Message 5 of 10

Hi it looks very similar to the first one on the first row

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@mart00007 wrote:

Hi it looks very similar to the first one on the first row

Thanks,

Can you please connect things up as shown below, and see if you still get the problem?

adsl_test.jpg

0 Ratings
mart00007
Message 7 of 10

Hi thats strange ive set it up as in the diagram and its not cutting out anymore..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@mart00007 wrote:

Hi thats strange ive set it up as in the diagram and its not cutting out anymore..

That indicates a possible issue with either the connections between the test socket and the front of the faceplate, or an extension wiring issue.

If you have extension wiring it would be connected to the back of the bottom section like this. Is yours like this?

back_master_ext.jpgExtension wiring

Did you originally have anything else connected between the master socket and  the microfilter?

0 Ratings
mart00007
Message 9 of 10

Hi no theres no extension wiring and i only had the micro filter connected to the master socket,ive give it a bit of a clean it was a bit dusty inside dont know if that would help and ill put it back together and try again..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

What happens is that a poor contact occurs between the bottom part of the master socket, and the test socket, due to oxidisation. When you get a voltage surge it creates a burst of interference which causes the broadband to drop. This is a very common issue.

Dusting will not  help, but a contact cleaning spray like Servisol Super 10, is very effective in removing this oxidisation.

Do not attempt to clean them with anything abrasive, as you will make matters worse.

There is nothing to stop you using the test socket all the time.

If you are looking for a neater solution, then this is one suggestion which works for ADSL and VDSL, and you do not need the microfilter.

lindy.jpg

0 Ratings