Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT Broadband Guaranteed Minimum Speed

Hi everyone,

In contractual terms, what are the obligations on BT to resolve problems where broadband speed is below guaranteed minimum speed but above zero? There is still a service there albeit almost impossible to use. I pay BT for my broadband service therefore my contract is with BT and not Openreach. For months now I have had problems with my broadband speed below guaranteed minimum at 0.25MB/s. The guaranteed minimum is 1MB/s. I live about 4kms from exchange. It was "resolved" about 2 weeks ago after the 4th Openreach engineer was convinced the service was being capped and he contacted the DCOE. Broadband immediately burst into life back to 3.2MB/s after a cap had been removed. That lasted 2 days and it was back down again to 0.25MB/s. Another Openreach engineer visited last week, left unable to get speed back as he was there for a line test only (which passed all tests) but said he was waiting to speak to someone (but this time I don't know to who) and next day it was again back to over 3MB/s. I keep router (BT Hub 4A) on all the time and know not to restart or switch off router.

Any advice or contributions are welcome.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Broadband Guaranteed Minimum Speed

can you post stats from your router please

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number but leave exchnage and cab  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

any noise non quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phione

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Sorry but I did say problem is currently resolved as speed is OK (although I can't help feeling it will all go downhill again soon). What I want to know is BT's contractual obligations when speed goes below minimum guaranteed. Do they have to get it fixed or can they simply say it's not our problem it's an Openreach problem? Also, how long does speed have to be below minimum before it can be classed as a problem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

0 Ratings
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Been with BT since 2010 so not a new customer or line. But why cancellation is even an option beats me - it's simply moving the problem from BT to another broadband service provider. Current contract started February 2017. Noticed a slightly slower speed at renewal because I was consistently getting over 4MB/s before renewal. It went down to around 3.2-3.5 at renewal but still acceptable. Then in October it all started to go wrong - consistently just above 1MB/s then in January consistently at 0.25MB/s. Since October only 3 times and each time only for a few days has my speed been back to over 3MB/s. First was an SNR reset by an Openreach engineer. Second was a phone call to DCOE by another Openreach engineer. Third this week was ...I don't know.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

It is difficult to help or make suggestions without information about your connection. Really need stats from your router and btspeedtester diagnostic resulrs

by entering your phone number and posting results will show estimates of what is avaible to you. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm   Remember delete number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1 to 3.5Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 2.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available---- 
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date20-05-2017      

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

as you can see the estimated speed for your conenction is about 1.5mb on adslmax and 2mb on adsl2 so that gives some idea of what to expect some connection might get better and some less

just need your router stats to see where you are compared to the estimated speed  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Sorry but which stats from the hub do you need?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

the HH4 provides little in way of stats but you can find the information here 

You may be able to gain a little more information from the event log, such as the SNR Margin, shortly after a resync.

Troubleshooting >
Event Log >
Category 'WAN

you are looking for 2 lines when your router last reset like these

03:25:40, 10 Feb. ( 76.820000) DSL noise margin: 5.80 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
03:25:39, 10 Feb. ( 76.130000) DSL line rate: 1131 Kbps upstream, 10295 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings