cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT Broadband Guaranteed Minimum Speed

12:30:01, 08 Feb.(95595.660000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
12:30:00, 08 Feb.(95594.730000) DSL line rate: 931 Kbps upstream, 3352 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

So from stats you have had a stable connection since 8/2 with connection speed of 3352kbps and noise ,argon st normal 6db. Stats good and on high side of estimated speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 17

I know that - I confirmed the speed is currently fine in my original post. I originally wanted to know BT's contractual obligations when the broadband service is consistently below guaranteed minimum but above zero. In other words there is a service albeit an almost unuseable service. I had to suffer that for months. BT blamed Openreach  and vice versa and I was stuck in the middle. Does having a guaranteed minimum actually mean anything when it drags on for months? Have I any comeback on BT for poor service or can they argue I had a service anyway - it wasn't a total loss of service. Or, can they say it's not our problem it's Openreach's problem therefore we're not liable to pay you any compensation. I can't find anything in BT's T&Cs regarding compensation for a below minimum guaranteed service which is not a total loss of service. One or two days not a problem but months.....?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

Any problems with connection you report to BT as your contract is with BT. It is up to BT to get their contractors openreach to fix your connection. There are set out condition in the T&C what refund you get if without service

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cgz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 17

But I wasn't "without service". I had an almost unuseable service. Where is that covered in the T&Cs? What use is a guaranteed minimum if it means nothing?

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 17

@cgz2 wrote:
202,180                Should be quote  from message 15  quote bug not fixed for meSmiley Sad

I think ISPs use the minimum guaranteed speed expecting customers  to move rather than suffer ongong problems with the existing ISP - which is basically hoping to pass the buck.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 17

The minimum guaranteed speed isn't a "proper guarantee" as such. It is there so that if the speed is below this and the ISP can't fix any faults to increase the speed then the customer can cancel any contract with no early cancellation fees being incurred and then move to another ISP , but this doesn't help with the slower speed which in all likelihood would affect any incoming ISP.

Therefore the only obligations the ISP has is to attempt to improve the speed and if it can't then that's it ,you either move or put up with the poor speed. eg any line with aluminium in it suffers significant speed loss which is outside the ISPs control .