cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcondy
Message 1 of 18

BT Broadband and corporate VPN

Go to solution

So after a very diappointing call with the support folks I hope that somebody here may actually know something.

I have been a BT broadband user for many years and have been using the VPN software from my corporate IT department to access secure systems at work from my home.  This has been working well until today.  Today BT Broadband users have a problem which does not affect other broadband services and so the question is what has changed over this weekend?

The VPN software connects as normal but now the gateway and DNS settings do not carry through.  If set manually they conflict with those from the home hub and its connection.  So now I can either talk to systems at work or systems in the big wide world but nolonger both.  Any ideas?

Otherwise it gets to be curtains for BT Broadband and a move to something else.

BTW it would be nice if the call centre actually employed somebody with even a little networking knowledge.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES
dave456
Beginner
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Broadband and corporate VPN

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same (lack of) support from BT

Any suggestions anyone?

0 Ratings
dave456
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

I think the problem is caused by BTs web address help facility.

I opted out of this service and my VPN works fine again.

To opt out go to http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/

0 Ratings
leve1
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the solution. I have had this problem for a week now and been sent all round the houses at BT with no-one capable of helping unless I sign up for some service costing £8.99 a month to have someone else tell me they can't fix it. I opted out of this service and it all works fine now so thanks a lot for this!

0 Ratings
d4v1db
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Amazing... Great fix... I'd almost given up and was having to use my old ADSL modem.  Thanks a lot.  Out of interest, how did you find the fix?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@d4v1db wrote:

Amazing... Great fix... I'd almost given up and was having to use my old ADSL modem.  Thanks a lot.  Out of interest, how did you find the fix?

Hi.

This may have been as a result of my post :-

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-DNS-hijack-for-mistyped-or-invalid-URLs/m-p/45082#M27424

It appears that this may have been turned off. but I've not been able to confirm myself :-

http://reversemidastouch.blogspot.com:80/

0 Ratings
robS
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the pointer. I had already found this but didn't realise it was causing the same corporate VPN problem I've just spent the last 2 hours trying to solve.

I can't believe BT have just gone and changed this without notification or widespread testing. Service Management - what's that?

0 Ratings
Add123
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

i love you, thank you so much.

i have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to sort this problem out.

I followed the link opted out and my vpn/exchange server work perfectly now. I am home based so this not working was causing me to sit in mcdonalds for hours every night using their internet!!

A big thank you.

0 Ratings
MrBennett
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I have had this same issue, spent more than 3 hours on the phone to BT's offshore IT support who keep telling me it is my corporate IT which is the issue.

Really, really annoying.

0 Ratings
Yankycrank
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

No, this matter is not solved, I have done what is suggested above, but still can not get to VPN from home... Anywhere but home, fine - but through the home-hub, no luck... what is next?

0 Ratings