cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Funkster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT - Broadband issue but bigger support issues - Stress!

We started experiencing random drop outs of the HOME HUB 3 router circa the end of June 2016. I performed all basic checks and self-diagnostics –eliminating wireless devices, wired devices, phones, checking / swapping filters etc. However even with just the hub plugged in (no phone and no connections wired/wireless) the hub would disconnect (orange – purple –blue cycling BB light).

I eventually reported the issue on the 6th July and was put through to the offshore call desk. Herein lies my first complaint - Why do BT use offshore call centres running basic technical scripts? There is clearly both a cultural and language gap with 99% of the agents struggling with basic phrases - this is not a good basis for dealing with complex support issues. The second point is as an IT professional (IT PM) of 20 years it is very evident that the agents have no understanding of technology or basic troubleshooting skills. After a frustrating 1hour long conversation going through basic/non sensible scripts – I was told that changing my RF Channel to a different one would resolve the problems. WTH! Even without technical knowledge logic dictates that if the wireless is off and the problem is still evident then it isn’t the wireless. Needless to say this did not fix the problem however a second call resulted in the agent resetting the IP Profile and I was advise to monitor for a week.  This again did not fix the problem in fact resulted in the complete loss of the service for a week after the IP profile got lower and lower until complete loss.

After several more phone calls, I was struggling to get anyone to A) understand the problem and send an engineer out B) escalate the issue to an appropriate level for the length of disruption to service. I was told eventually (by the call centre in Cardiff) the issue had been assigned a CASE MANAGER in the UK and that they would call me at a specific time window – They never called. I call them, explained and I was told a new time – THEY NEVER CALLLED.  I called again was given a new time …..THEY NEVER CALLED…….6 TIMES this happened!! This went on and I have still not been called. … After complaining I was told that the case manager had tried to call me …. Despite me having no voice mail on my phone and no missed calls on any of the phone missed call register!  Despite me telling them to call one specific number only (My mobile which is on me 24/7) ………..So BT are the only company in the world to not leave a missed call on a missed call register or leave a voice message despite the nature of the escalated call! Alternatively THEY ARE BLANTANTLY LYING! (Also whilst speaking to them on the Live Chat they told me they had tried to ring at 15:00 however the message wast sent at 14:48 on the same day! How can they see into the future??? Again this is a blatant lie!!!)

This is now MID Aug! and still NOTHING has been done!

After several more calls, promises of a case manager calling me, the call being escalated to a mythical “technical team”….. I eventually got through to a UK call center, who at last organised an engineer (LINE). He attended, changed the internal socket , re-terminated the outside box and changed the pair on the BT Cabinet. ……He noted that there were lots of CRC errors and believed that the issue would persist…. Despite the changes he had made……….The Broadband was back up briefly  however the intermittent problem continued again to the point of loss of broadband. ….. I went through the calling BT process again and  after several more calls and threat of cancelling the “service” I got through to another UK call center where, following much discussion, the agent agreed it was a broad band fault. The discussion was in depth and I was told specifically that the BROADBAND BOOST engineer would come and he would have spare parts (hubs) etc. …….. I took time off work and waited. …. The engineer arrived. ….Opened the door and he said …..”I was just looking at the notes, where you expecting a BROADBAND Boost engineer??…” ……He was a LINE engineer! …..After calling the call center AGAIN!!!!! I was told to monitor the line for 48 hours.!!!!! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!!!!! This is beyond poor service and a level of incompetence that is utterly criminal.

One final point what kind of incident/support management process closes open tickets after five days as resolved even if the case isn’t actually resolved…….And then just opens a fresh call……. Answer – BT. The stats must be amazing!

It is now the 24th Aug and I am still having issues! I have not had a call from any case manager or escalation point, I am sick of calling Offshore to be lied to or fobbed off with some nonsense! I am at a complete loss and this whole process has caused me nothing but a huge amount of stress, financial loss and upset.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT - Broadband issue but bigger support issues - Stress!

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Tigerfarm
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Welcome to the world of fighting with BT. If its any consolation you are not alone and there are 10s of thousands in the identical position to you. In my case , after 3 engineer visits my 5 Mbps at the wall has deteriorated to 1.5 over 1 month and no one is prepared to do anything about it. An aerial wire has been out of its support on a pole for over a year and its always someone elses problem/department or shift.

If you have a problem with your power supply no one expects you to become an instant electrician, if you have a problem with your water you are not expected to set to with Stilsons and PTFE tape - it is clear that BT are cynically exploiting their monopoly position to the detriment of the users purely to make profits, by using an offshore so called support network they introduce, as you rightly identify , a cultural 'filter' that allows them to always claim that you didnt fully explain the problem. They hoodwink the MPs and OfCom with statistics and promises but are actually doing nothing for the nation at large, especially in rural areas.

The first thing to do is cancel your Direct debit - it is more inconvenient and will be messy but allows you to pay only for what you get. Every time you have to take time off work raise an invoice on BT and then deduct that amount from your bill. They will weep and wail and threaten uou but provided you pay something they are not allowed to disconnect you. If enough people followed this route the service would improve dramatically and quickly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

very bad advise as all that will happen ultimately is disconnection of services and the bills passed to debt collection agencies with the obvious additional charges and damage to your credit rating
0 Ratings
Tigerfarm
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

sounds remarkably like a typical BT threat to me............
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

that is no threat at all and I am a BT customer like your self and I do not work for BT and never have done I am just stating facts as to what will happen hence my comment bad advise