cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bailin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Broadband wifi copper works fine but phoneline dead

Tested line by inserting each disconnected working phone directly into test socket in master socket NTE5 after removing faceplate off master socket on wall. Nothing, no dialing tone. Prior to this I simply took the phone extension plug out of the wall socket to clean the floor area from dust. On reinserting the plug the phone line was dead whereas before the phones were working. BT faults checked the line and there is a fault but they do not know if it is inside or outside my property boundary line. BT said customers are responsible if fault is within physical boundary of property. But forum contributors online forums say BT are responsible for the line from the exchange up to and including the the master socket. I have not done anything except take out and replace the plug which connects to router and phones. If I ring my line on my mobile it rings on my mobile, but I cannot here anything on my connected phones. My broadband which connects in the same socket is working fine. I would like advice on who is responsible BT or me as I cannot pay the £85 if my side so I cannot agree to the terms of an engineer coming unless I know who is responsible, BT or myself.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Broadband wifi copper works fine but phoneline dead

Welcome to this user forum. @bailin 

Please can you confirm that both your phone service and broadband are supplied by BT Retail?

As you said you have normal ADSL broadband, then that comes from the exchange, so if that is working at full speed, then its more likely to be an exchange equipment fault, possibly a disconnected wire, or a faulty line card.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
bailin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Welcome to this user forum. @bailin 

Please can you confirm that both your phone service and broadband are supplied by BT Retail?

As you said you have normal ADSL broadband, then that comes from the exchange, so if that is working at full speed, then its more likely to be an exchange equipment fault, possibly a disconnected wire, or a faulty line card.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

Both broadband and phone are provided by BT.

0 Ratings
bailin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Re http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

Thanks for the above link. There is a list of chargeable causes of line faults in the above link, but the heading states and causes like them. What are the additional causes "like them"?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

If your broadband is working, and you have no dial tone at the test socket, then the fault is not in your premises, otherwise broadband would not work.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Hi @bailin  and welcome.

Sorry you're having problems with the line. As per Keiths post below If there's no dial tone in the test socket there's more than likely a network fault. Have you confact the faults team on 0800800151?

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

If your broadband is working, and you have no dial tone at the test socket, then the fault is not in your premises, otherwise broadband would not work.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
bailin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

A BT engineer in the next few days will be checking for a fault in the exchange box outside the boundary of my property. BT are adamant that the responsiblity of the internal house telephone wiring does not stop at the master socket, but continues to the boundary of the owner's property irrespective that BT own the master socket. Some posts here in this forum state that BT is responsible from the exchange up to and includng the master socket. In contrast, BT state that the owner of the property is responsible for all telephone wiring within the property boundary. This is clearly illustrated diagrammatically in the BT website. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

If it was faulty in the external network, you would not get broadband, or it would be very slow.

Both your broadband and phone come down the same wires, and in your case, as you are on ADSL, they both originate within the telephone exchange.

The reference to the your property boundary would mean things like damage to external wiring caused by your own plants or trees, or accidental damage to any cables running down the side of your house, so the diagram shown on the BT website, would be correct, if you have any outside phone cabling.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Hi @bailin,

How did things go with the engineer and has your service been repaired.

If you're still experiencing issues with your service, post back.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
bailin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

No change re fault as of today. Perhaps Easter weekend busy. Clarification please re post replies. If broadband working but phoneline dead, does this mean the problem with the phone is BT responsibilty or mine?

0 Ratings