Message 11 of 16

Re: BT Broadband wifi copper works fine but phoneline dead

BT

0 Ratings
bailin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 16

BT 151 have told me that the fault is in the boundary of my property and chargeable. When fault first reported I was told the fault was between the exchange and my property. Does that mean BT sent an engineer to check the exchange box as now they are saying the fault is within the boundary of my property and chargeable. But BT said no engineer would be sent to check the exchange unless I agreed to 85 pound charge. The day after I reported the fault I called again to discuss it and a supervisor called me back and said an engineer would be sent and there would be no charge if the fault was found in my property but no engineer came. BT said they had no reference to this call but found it after one hour with a name from India. The phone conversation will be listened to re verification. Now BT have no record of the outgoing call. When I later checked again it was found. Now it has been lost again. How is it that some BT call centres can see outgoing call and others cannot. I have a record on my phone of the supervisors call. Currently, BT cannot find the record nor attached note entered by the supervisor.

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 13 of 16

There may be a £85 charge if we send out an engineer to fix a fault or make an improvement, but it's free of charge if the problem is with our network outside the boundary of your premises.

Home boundary

You'll be charged if the problem is caused by things like:

• 1. Your main socket, due to damage you've caused
  • 2. Your home phone extension wiring
  • 3. The way you've connected up your equipment
  • 4. Interference from something else in your home, like your phone, alarm system, or a faulty microfilter
  • 5. A faulty BT Hub that's out of warranty (your Hub is in warranty if you're in contract)
  • 6. Damage caused by damp, flood, fire, or building work
  • 7. Damage outside caused by things like broken guttering or trees
  • 8. Telephone wires that have been accidently cut

The boundry marked in the picture is only applicable to 4,6,7,8. Even though 1 - 8 are all inside your boundry.

As long as this is not occouring 'inside your boundry' you'll be ok:-

4. Your router is on top of a faulty microwave in your kitchen. It happens. Seen it.

6. You lit a bonfire outside under phone wire an toasted it. Done it.

7. You cut a tree down, like one in picture, inside your boundry and damaged a wire. Done it.

8. You acidentaly cut the wire whilst painting the outside of house. Seen it.

If you were to 1. Spill coke in your master socket. 2. Randomly swap the wires in your extension wiring. 3. Connected your router with a damaged cable. 4. Put your router on top of the microwave. 5. Do all of this out of contract without having a bonfire, tree cutting and decorating. I am 100% sure you would be charged.

From what you have said non of this applies to you. They read the £85 'riot act' to everyone. This is because they have to, it would not be fair to not tell you you may be charged, but it also puts customers off from complaining as being pushy may cost them £85.

All Openreach equipment up to and including the main 'master' socket is the responsibility of Openreach to repair free of charge unless you have accidentally/on purpose damaged it.

Sounds like a frame fault in exchange but I need lots more information to be sure.

Hope this helps with your worries.

Message 14 of 16

Hi and thanks for posting.

I’m sorry you’re still having problems with the line. @DiggerOfTrenches  post is completely correct (kudos to you @DiggerOfTrenches ) . You’ve mentioned that ‘Tested line by inserting each disconnected working phone directly into test socket in master socket NTE5 after removing faceplate off master socket on wall. ‘ If there’s no dial tone in the test socket it proves the issues is outside your property. If there’s no damage to the line etc inside your property boundary then the fault is further down the line. Have you arranged an engineer appointment yet? To be honest I don’t think a call out charge would apply here so it’s worth arranging the visit to make sure everything’s in order.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
bailin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

After a complaint and negotiation and the resulting raising of another fault my phoneline has been fixed. The last fault was raised as the others had timed out. The line fault was in  number 4 on the BT faults positioning diagram, the boundary. Number 5 on the bt diagram is my house and inside boundary. There was no visit to my house and I do not know if a charge will be made.

I would like to know what the fault was and where it was and how caused. I find it hard to believe just pulling the tel plug out of the master socket and putting it back in 5 minutes later could have caused the fault or could it in which case it could happen again. I hardly ever take the plug out of the master socket.

Can I have definitive answer on whether or not all calls with bt customers are registered and recorded both incoming to BT and outgoing from BT whether or not it is a UK customer contact centre or abroad and reordings have to be kept since 2015 for a minimum of one year?

How is it possible for customers to identify BT customer service operatives that they have been spoken to days or weeks after the conversation when an issue comes up with what was said but not written down in the notes? Do BT cust serv operatives write notes when they call out and make promises to customers which may or may not be at variance with written terms and conditions? Very few notes appear to be written down re the conversations. The first name alone is insufficient to identify cust service operatives as there are many centres in UK and abroad and other operatives with same name and which may be a nickname or a middle name etc.

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 16 of 16

The only way you can have broadband and NO PHONE when plugged directly into the mastersocket is if a wire has fallen off in the exchange or green cabinet.

This has nothing to do with your boundrey property or equipment.

@bailinwrote:

The line fault was in  number 4 on the BT faults positioning diagram, the boundary. Number 5 on the bt diagram is my house and inside boundary. There was no visit to my house and I do not know if a charge will be made.

Who ever told you that was likely talking off a script which says if blue light on it's the customers problem, whatever the problem.

The script will focus on your master socket not the exchange/cabinet as blue light is on.

As for who you have spoken to make a request under GDPR for all call recordings and notes BT have. I believe all calls to bt are recorded.

0 Ratings