cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fairview-neil
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT HomeHub 4 - constantly restarting (DSL Link Down)

Go to solution

Located in Cornwall with only basic broadband available and started with BT around 9 months ago. No noticeable problems until recently (last month or so). Now HH4 is restarting multiple times per day. Apartment is a second home so not always resident. Arrived yesterday to find multiple restarts over the last few days that have filled the log. Since arriving it has restarted 10 times.  Helpdesk tab below. Suspect the hub but can't find a way to report a hub with the device on MyBT.

1. Product Name: HomeHub4

2. Serial number: +076281+1522001690

3. Firmware version: v0.07.06.11237-BT (Type B) Last updated 13/4/2019

4. Board version: 01A

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:14:08

6. Data Rate: 1251 / 14328

7. Maximum Data Rate: 1260 / 18640

8. Noise Margin: 6.0 / 6.3

9. Line Attenuation: 11.0 / 20.0

10. Signal Attenuation: 11.3 / 26.0

11. Data sent/received: 8.5 MB / 39.4 MB

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT HomeHub 4 - constantly restarting (DSL Link Down)

Go to solution

the connection time is very short at 14mins but if hub has been dropping connection as often as you say then I am really surprised that your connection speed is almost at attainable and your noise margin at normal 6db  usually after that many drops I would expected far higher down noise margin and far lower speed and probably a banded profile

is there any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
fairview-neil
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. I've done the test from the apartment on a corded phone and it is quite crackly. However I will now need to repeat this from the basement as the Master Socket is located down there alongside 11 others. I'll post results when I've managed to get into the cupboard later tonight or in the morning.

0 Ratings
fairview-neil
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Initial quiet line test results would appear to indicate a potential problem in the apartment although it is very intermittent so diagnosing further is a bit of a challenge, particularly when I have to quickly go down two floors to the basement to prove things in the master socket. The noise starts off with high pitched whistling and then crackly interference but narrowing it down seems an issue unless I can establish a pattern. Very frustrating.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @fairview-neil,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for posting.

Sorry that you're having problems with your connection, I think we are going to need to take a look at this one. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

Community ModeratorMatt
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @fairview-neil,

Thank you for sending in your details. I'm sorry you've been having problems with your connection. I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today.

I've run a few checks on your connection and it does look like things have improved. The current session has been active for around 2 and a half days, with no dropouts reported during that time.

How are things at your end, have you noticed and improvement?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
fairview-neil
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the update. Sorry to miss your call. I have periodically been testing the phone line and it has been all quiet since the original incidents last week.  I have no idea what has changed but I will be monitoring closely over the next week or so. Many thanks again. 

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @fairview-neil,

Thank you for posting back. When I look over your connection there was definitely an issue around the 30th of August that lasted until around the 8th. From the 8th the connection has been stable with no dropouts.

It most likely was electrical interference (REIN), which has now gone. You can find out more about REIN here https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

In terms of the case I have open at the moment are you okay if I close that off?

If the problem returns you can post back and I'd be more than happy to reopen that case.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
fairview-neil
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks again. Happy to close for now. 

Neil

0 Ratings