cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeamusWalsh
Message 1 of 7

BT Nightmare - Please help...

Hello,

I know just about everyone has some kind of horror story trying to deal with BT, but if anyone can help me in any way with my situation I would greatly appreciate it. I am sending off all of the information I have collated to Trading Standards, Watchdog and my Solicitor this week, and we are getting legal advice from our Union, but for now any help I could receive in getting broadband would be great. By the way I have full notes on what occurred, and I have recorded every conversation on my dictaphone so I will also be sending all recordings to the above as well.

I have condensed this saga down into the basic elements, but it is still rather long:

- In the last week of September my wife and I spoke to Sky to see about getting my account moved to my new address, that I was moving into on the 6th October. The timescale being offered to get broadband at the new property (4 weeks) was too long and we decided to speak to BT instead.

- My wife called BT to set up a new account at the new property and were informed that they could do this in seven days.

- I called Sky to cancel and they offered me a lot. Three months free subscription, plus six months half-price subscription, and a free movie package. Regardless, we really needed the broadband very quickly as my wife was having surgery and would be stuck at home.

- My wife spoke to BT to set up the new account (despite it costing us hundreds of pounds more over 12 months compared to Sky). We had trouble getting this sorted out, but in the end it seemed that the account was opened. We went for the highest cost package of Phone, Broadband and TV.

- We were sent all of the equipment (BT Vision Box, Hub etc) on the 6th October.

- My wife phoned BT to make a general enquiry and was informed that the account had been cancelled, and that we would not have any service. There was no reason given, no notes were attached to the account to explain this - and then the nightmare began.No apology, no reason, nothing. We had broadband and phone for one day.

- We spent roughly 5 hours on the phone on hold or speaking to various people, who agreed it was a BT error but offered nothing in the way of an apology, explanation, or a sense that we would be prioritised to be reactivated.

- I was forced to open up a completely new account and was told that we would not have ANY service until 30th October. So it was going to take over three weeks to get connected onto a phone-line that BT manage despite the fact that it was their error. At this point, of course, I realised that sticking with Sky would have been the most sensible, economical and less stressful route. Too late for that though.

- Another 3 hours spent on the phone trying to get that sorted out. This was during my work time, and I had to use my mobile phone.

- I called BT consistently over the next weeks getting assurances from as many people as I could that my phone and broadband would be activated on Saturday 30th October. People like Jackie in Aberdeen, and Donna, and Kerry in Customer Services who assured me that everything would be 100% perfect. About 2 hours altogether getting these assurances.

- This will not come as a surprise to any of you. Last Saturday came and went without ANYTHING being activated. Sunday came and I made various calls to departments (all of whom are incapable of putting me through each other, despite working for a telecommunications company) to try and find out why nothing had happened. I was informed by Rahjiah that the date of the 30th *could not* be right because it was impossible for an account to be activated on a weekend. I pointed out that I had a letter in front of me stating the 30th, and that all she had to do was read the notes to see the facts. She conceded that this was the stated start date but despite this, I would have to ring back the technical support on Monday morning (yesterday). I requested that I be rung back, given what had happened and was informed (again, I recorded this on my dictaphone) that this was "impossible."

- 4 hours on my mobile phone to BT. All Sunday plans went out of the window.

- Monday morning and I call technical support, and after being on hold for 35mins, I explained the situation (again) to Ranjit but receive no explanation and no apology. I am given a 100% assurance that after speaking to OpenReach, my phone and broadband would be activated by 6pm. I tell Ranjit that I do not believe her, and ask who will call me back to help me when this does not happen. She says that this cannot be done, despite the fact that BT have now broken the contract. Again, it is up to me to manage my account with BT and do their job for them.

- 3 hours on my mobile phone to BT. A half day taken from work on leave to sort this out.

- 6pm comes and guess what? Yes, nothing. I call BT once again and instead of explaining the entire situation again, I ask Vina to read my notes and call me back. She does this and tells me that the phone will be active at 8pm, and the broadband activated at midnight. I point out that I have been repeatedly lied to by incompetent BT staff and that I do not believe this will happen. She assures me that it will. I ask to speak to her Manager. Babu comes onto the phone and grudingly states when questioned that he is the floor manager, though he appears to not want to discuss that part of it, and I assume that he is in fact just sitting next to Vina. But that's ok, because I am recording the call, as always. He repeats what Vina said. I ask him to call me back at 8pm and midnight. He says that if he does that he would be fired because he is not allowed to. I ask him if Vina is going to be fired for ringing me back. He agrees to ring me back. That's how it seems to work with BT.

- 3 hours on my mobile phone.

- 8pm - The phone-line is activated. Midnight - No broadband.

- This morning (Tuesday) I call BT to ask about why my "definitely 100% connected broadband" has not been connected. The broadband technical support man gets me to do a whole bunch of things that I have already done repeatedly. He runs a diagnostic check and says that all is fine (I will come back to this later).  I am once again assured that, even though the equipment arrived for a different account (my wife's), it will still work fine for my account. After a long time on the phone I state that I must go to work (yes, I had to find the time to work away from my other full-time job trying to activate a broadband connection with British Telecom) and that my wife will take over dealing with the issue. I am asked "Will she understand the technical questions?" Yes, he actually asked this question. I state that my wife is a Website Manager for a large company and that she probably knows more about this issue than I do, or indeed, he does. Wonderful bit of sexism there.

- 1 hour of my morning spent on the phone to BT.

- My wife is informed that we will be called back within 24 hours to sort out this issue. He said this as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Incredible. My wife naturally contests this and after much to-ing and fro-ing is told that she will be called back within a couple of hours. You really have to fight with these people. It is not enough that they can see how unprofessional and insulting it is to be treated so unpleasantly.

- 1 hour on the phone to BT.

- The call comes in and they ask her to get off the line as they cannot run a diagnostic check whilst the line is busy. So the two other people who said they were running diagnostic checks whilst on the phone to us were lying. Or incompetent. Or both.

- We have been informed that the problem could be an external technical issue and that we will be called back today, before 9pm, to tell us what needs to be done. Of course, we neither expect the call nor do we think that the problem is external because we know that it all works fine because on the 6th October we had fully working broadband.

What can we do next? We have been consistently lied to and dealt with in such a shabby and unprofessional way, yet at the same time we are locked into a 24 month contract? We really need to get broadband as quickly as possible, but at this point all the alternatives will probably take longer. NTL, Sky, Virgin - I have been a customer of all of them and despite all being cheaper than BT, they are also all better managed and (whilst not perfect) are not as abominably inept as British Telecom.

We have moved from England to Wales. My wife recently had major surgery. All of that has been the simplest thing in the world compared to the stress, hassle and time we have spent trying to sort out something as basic as phone and broadband with British Telecom. We have lost whole days spent trying to deal with BT, and at this point are so stressed that it is seeping to every other part of our lives. The account above is just the tip of the iceberg - there have been so many unpleasant incidents and we have been treated worse than any company I can remember (one of the people in sales actually openly mocked my wife's accent at one point!).

We will never use BT again, and I intend on taking this as far as I need to, as well as posting about this on around other sites on the internet. I have never even so much as complained verbally in my life.

But for now, what is the best way to deal with this to get our connection up? 

Again, any help really is most appreciated. We are at our wit's end.

Thank you,

Seamus

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
chrisvc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Nightmare - Please help...

Can't offer any help only sympathy. Wish I could say I thought it would get any better but alas I can't.

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 3 of 7

@SeamusWalsh wrote:

Hello,

I know just about everyone has some kind of horror story trying to deal with BT, but if anyone can help me in any way with my situation I would greatly appreciate it. I am sending off all of the information I have collated to Trading Standards, Watchdog and my Solicitor this week, and we are getting legal advice from our Union, but for now any help I could receive in getting broadband would be great. By the way I have full notes on what occurred, and I have recorded every conversation on my dictaphone so I will also be sending all recordings to the above as well.

I have condensed this saga down into the basic elements, but it is still rather long:

- In the last week of September my wife and I spoke to Sky to see about getting my account moved to my new address, that I was moving into on the 6th October. The timescale being offered to get broadband at the new property (4 weeks) was too long and we decided to speak to BT instead.

- My wife called BT to set up a new account at the new property and were informed that they could do this in seven days.

- I called Sky to cancel and they offered me a lot. Three months free subscription, plus six months half-price subscription, and a free movie package. Regardless, we really needed the broadband very quickly as my wife was having surgery and would be stuck at home.

- My wife spoke to BT to set up the new account (despite it costing us hundreds of pounds more over 12 months compared to Sky). We had trouble getting this sorted out, but in the end it seemed that the account was opened. We went for the highest cost package of Phone, Broadband and TV.

- We were sent all of the equipment (BT Vision Box, Hub etc) on the 6th October.

- My wife phoned BT to make a general enquiry and was informed that the account had been cancelled, and that we would not have any service. There was no reason given, no notes were attached to the account to explain this - and then the nightmare began.No apology, no reason, nothing. We had broadband and phone for one day.

- We spent roughly 5 hours on the phone on hold or speaking to various people, who agreed it was a BT error but offered nothing in the way of an apology, explanation, or a sense that we would be prioritised to be reactivated.

- I was forced to open up a completely new account and was told that we would not have ANY service until 30th October. So it was going to take over three weeks to get connected onto a phone-line that BT manage despite the fact that it was their error. At this point, of course, I realised that sticking with Sky would have been the most sensible, economical and less stressful route. Too late for that though.

- Another 3 hours spent on the phone trying to get that sorted out. This was during my work time, and I had to use my mobile phone.

- I called BT consistently over the next weeks getting assurances from as many people as I could that my phone and broadband would be activated on Saturday 30th October. People like Jackie in Aberdeen, and Donna, and Kerry in Customer Services who assured me that everything would be 100% perfect. About 2 hours altogether getting these assurances.

- This will not come as a surprise to any of you. Last Saturday came and went without ANYTHING being activated. Sunday came and I made various calls to departments (all of whom are incapable of putting me through each other, despite working for a telecommunications company) to try and find out why nothing had happened. I was informed by Rahjiah that the date of the 30th *could not* be right because it was impossible for an account to be activated on a weekend. I pointed out that I had a letter in front of me stating the 30th, and that all she had to do was read the notes to see the facts. She conceded that this was the stated start date but despite this, I would have to ring back the technical support on Monday morning (yesterday). I requested that I be rung back, given what had happened and was informed (again, I recorded this on my dictaphone) that this was "impossible."

- 4 hours on my mobile phone to BT. All Sunday plans went out of the window.

- Monday morning and I call technical support, and after being on hold for 35mins, I explained the situation (again) to Ranjit but receive no explanation and no apology. I am given a 100% assurance that after speaking to OpenReach, my phone and broadband would be activated by 6pm. I tell Ranjit that I do not believe her, and ask who will call me back to help me when this does not happen. She says that this cannot be done, despite the fact that BT have now broken the contract. Again, it is up to me to manage my account with BT and do their job for them.

- 3 hours on my mobile phone to BT. A half day taken from work on leave to sort this out.

- 6pm comes and guess what? Yes, nothing. I call BT once again and instead of explaining the entire situation again, I ask Vina to read my notes and call me back. She does this and tells me that the phone will be active at 8pm, and the broadband activated at midnight. I point out that I have been repeatedly lied to by incompetent BT staff and that I do not believe this will happen. She assures me that it will. I ask to speak to her Manager. Babu comes onto the phone and grudingly states when questioned that he is the floor manager, though he appears to not want to discuss that part of it, and I assume that he is in fact just sitting next to Vina. But that's ok, because I am recording the call, as always. He repeats what Vina said. I ask him to call me back at 8pm and midnight. He says that if he does that he would be fired because he is not allowed to. I ask him if Vina is going to be fired for ringing me back. He agrees to ring me back. That's how it seems to work with BT.

- 3 hours on my mobile phone.

- 8pm - The phone-line is activated. Midnight - No broadband.

- This morning (Tuesday) I call BT to ask about why my "definitely 100% connected broadband" has not been connected. The broadband technical support man gets me to do a whole bunch of things that I have already done repeatedly. He runs a diagnostic check and says that all is fine (I will come back to this later).  I am once again assured that, even though the equipment arrived for a different account (my wife's), it will still work fine for my account. After a long time on the phone I state that I must go to work (yes, I had to find the time to work away from my other full-time job trying to activate a broadband connection with British Telecom) and that my wife will take over dealing with the issue. I am asked "Will she understand the technical questions?" Yes, he actually asked this question. I state that my wife is a Website Manager for a large company and that she probably knows more about this issue than I do, or indeed, he does. Wonderful bit of sexism there.

- 1 hour of my morning spent on the phone to BT.

- My wife is informed that we will be called back within 24 hours to sort out this issue. He said this as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Incredible. My wife naturally contests this and after much to-ing and fro-ing is told that she will be called back within a couple of hours. You really have to fight with these people. It is not enough that they can see how unprofessional and insulting it is to be treated so unpleasantly.

- The call comes in and they ask her to get off the line as they cannot run a diagnostic check whilst the line is busy. So the two other people who said they were running diagnostic checks whilst on the phone to us were lying. Or incompetent. Or both.

- We have been informed that the problem could be an external technical issue and that we will be called back today, before 9pm, to tell us what needs to be done. Of course, we neither expect the call nor do we think that the problem is external because we know that it all works fine because on the 6th October we had fully working broadband.

What can we do next? We have been consistently lied to and dealt with in such a shabby and unprofessional way, yet at the same time we are locked into a 24 month contract? We really need to get broadband as quickly as possible, but at this point all the alternatives will probably take longer. NTL, Sky, Virgin - I have been a customer of all of them and despite all being cheaper than BT, they are also all better managed and (whilst not perfect) are not as abominably inept as British Telecom.

We have moved from England to Wales. My wife recently had major surgery. All of that has been the simplest thing in the world compared to the stress, hassle and time we have spent trying to sort out something as basic as phone and broadband with British Telecom. We have lost whole days spent trying to deal with BT, and at this point are so stressed that it is seeping to every other part of our lives. The account above is just the tip of the iceberg - there have been so many unpleasant incidents and we have been treated worse than any company I can remember (one of the people in sales actually openly mocked my wife's accent at one point!).

We will never use BT again, and I intend on taking this as far as I need to, as well as posting about this on around other sites on the internet. I have never even so much as complained verbally in my life.

But for now, what is the best way to deal with this to get our connection up? 

Again, any help really is most appreciated. We are at our wit's end.

Thank you,

Seamus

Hi there,

Although I can't offer you any direct solution, what I would advise you to do is drop an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your Account number and a link back to this thread and one of the Mods (they're also BT Customer Care agents) will look into your issue and hopefully expedite a resolution for you.

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Guru
Message 4 of 7

Seamus this sounds like a nightmare scenario ...

The next thing to do is drop an email into the link, the moderators are BT employees, and will look into the problems .... but you need to make the first contact, by using the link to contact them.

Meantime I've flagged the thread for moderator attention, to be picked up

Drop an email in to : BT Forum Moderation Team <forum.moderation.team@bt.com>

With the "alleged" account detail.

They will help you with this, it's what they do best.

Good luck.

SeamusWalsh
Message 5 of 7

Well, finally an OpenReach chap called this morning. He looked at the exchange and saw that the account had been activated for phone but not for broadband. He sorted it out and we have broadband at last. He was very professional and helpful, and did not patronise or lie to me. I was very surprised and relieved. Then I found out that he doesn't actually work for BT, and it all made sense.

All he has to do is go to the exchange and activate the broadband on our house. Can anyone tell me why, when BT knew they had closed our account by mistake and then gave us a three week estimate for the line to be reacticated, they could not push through an emergency reactivation much sooner?

Now I have to go through the process of getting money back for the phone calls, time and Orange dongle we had to buy. That shoudl be fine. Especially as it apparently says that our account was fully activated on Saturday 30th October despite the fact that I spent Sunday on the phone with people telling me that no accounts can be activated at the weekend.

Thank you for your help, I will certainly contact that mod email address.

Good luck to everyone else - at least they didn't disconnect my neighbours broadband! Awful, awful company...

0 Ratings
mikie
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Small claims court for your costs. Sometimes sending an email to the current CEO of BT whilst cc'ing a copy to your MP/MSP can help. The main problem is that BT as a company don't care. There are the occasional good person within it (there has to be) but as long as OFCOM is stuffed full of ex-BT employees then it will continue to consistently deliver woeful service, carry on taking our money and continue to push UK further down the BB world rankings whilst delivering lies through their web presence (ie only a few very remote rural exchanges won't be upgraded to ADSL2+) OFCOM need to make BT give SLAs for their BB/IP services or force them to actually innovate and extend rather than just decrease shareholder value and make orange look good with their customer service Smiley Happy Couldn't have been any worse if they had stayed as a nationalised service, and as a state employee i wouldn't say that lightly
0 Ratings
Highlighted
juliancaine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

bt just dont care about customer service im afraid take them to court.

0 Ratings